• Send In The Clown (Pt.2)

--1st person POV--

Glancing at the clock on the wall, you sighed and wondered what could be keeping him.

It was 4:45pm, which meant that Mr Fleck was running fifteen minutes late.

After having spoken to the owner of Ha Ha's entertainment agency, you'd been given his home telephone number, and following a brief conversation with the party clown you'd arranged to meet for coffee, with a view to hiring him to perform at your nephews' upcoming party next month.

Mr Fleck had come across as quite wary and sceptical during your conversation, as if he didn't quite trust what you were proposing, but maybe once he met you in person it would assuage any concerns he might have.

That is, if he ever did arrive.

You'd almost finished your coffee when the door to the shop opened and a tall, thin man wearing a tan coloured coat wafted in.
He looked harassed, like he had been rushing. His brown hair was wind tousled and he appeared to be slightly out of breath.

He scanned the room until his inquisitive eyes met yours. The recognition was immediately visible in his expression, and he cautiously made his way over to your table.

"Hi, uh, (y/n)?"

You pushed your chair back and stood, offering your hand to him. "Mr Fleck? Hi. I'm glad you could make it."

He blinked at your hand unsurely before slowly shaking it. "S-sorry I kept you. My bus was late."

"That's okay." You smiled, "Do you not use the subway?"

He shook his head. "I've been trying to avoid it recently."

"Right. You mean since those shootings that happened the other day? Awful, isn't it?"

"Um, yeah. So awful."

You stared down awkwardly at your hand which was still clasped in his much larger one. He noticed you looking and took the hint, hastily letting it go.

Okay. So that was a little weird, but perhaps he was just a bit socially awkward. You could relate to that, not exactly being a social butterfly yourself.

"Please, take a seat." You offered, sitting back down. "Can I get you a coffee?"

"It's okay, I'll get it. Would you like another?"

"No I'm good thanks."

Having spotted him come in, the waitress came over and took his order.
As soon as she left a stilted silence ensued, making you feel decidedly awkward.
Jeez this was harder than you'd imagined. You didn't normally struggle with first meetings this much, though technically this wasn't your first meeting, but for some reason you wasn't sure how to begin the conversation.
It shouldn't be so difficult but you were feeling almost as on edge as he seemed to be.

"You look different." You blurted, hoping to break the ice. "You know, without your makeup and wig."

"Yeah." He smiled shyly, smoothing a hand over his thick mop of hair.

Ugh, well done Captain Obvious, you thought scathingly. Of course he looked different, anyone would when they usually dressed as a clown.