• The Birthday Boy (Pt.1)

: IMAGINE : You work at Haha's as a kissogram and decide to put your skills into practice to cheer Arthur up on his birthday

-- 1st person POV --

When people ask me what I do for a living I tend to be rather liberal with the truth.

Singing telegrams have been a thing since forever, although it isn't quite as popular any more now it's the 80's. Booking a singer to deliver greetings to a friend or loved one is a bit old fashioned.

But 'kissograms' are still very much in high demand.

Yeah, that's what I do. I get paid to show up as a surprise at parties and sing, usually happy birthday, and perform a little striptease for the birthday boy.

It's not actually as trashy as it sounds. I never strip fully naked, usually just down to a basque, french knickers, and stockings, and once I've finished my rendition of the song I give them a kiss on the cheek and leave.
Simple as that.
Easy money.

I'm not a proper stripper or exotic dancer. There's a strict no touching policy and no amount of cash could tempt me into providing extras for the client.

But.

There's still a stigma that comes with this line of work and I am admittedly a bit ashamed of what I do. I find it kind of humiliating. Especially considering that I moved to Gotham city hoping to make it as a singer or professional dancer.

Needless to say, that hasn't exactly worked according to plan.
I haven't completely given up hope, but in the meantime I have to pay my bills, and the job, while not exactly ideal, is still pretty cushy.

I only work evenings and more often than not it's weekends only, which means I have plenty of free time to attend auditions and I've started taking acting classes.

HA-HA'S Entertainment Agency is where I'm employed. They hire out street performers and party clowns for all kinds of events and occasions.
There's a few jugglers, stilt-walkers, fire-breathers, and even a male stripper.
The difference between us though is he strips right down to his pants, but he doesn't have to give the client a kiss.

Sexist right?
Still, at least I get paid a few cents more than he does.

Mostly though at HA-HA'S, there's clowns.
And I mean that in every sense of the word.

Out of them all there's only two that are bearable.

Gary, who makes a living out of being a 'diddy clown'.
He's just the best.

And Arthur.
Actually, Arthur is a little bit odd, but he's also the sweetest guy you could ever meet.

I realised he was painfully shy the very first time I met him. It didn't exactly take a genius to figure it out, as he was so awkward and clumsy, and he could barely even speak to me....

"Right guys, I wanna introduce you to our new member of the team. This is (y/n)."

The changing room came to a standstill as all eyes turned toward me.
A few catcalls and wolf whistles ensue and I respond the only way I know how.
I almost eye-roll myself into another dimension.

"You guys play nice now." My new boss, Hoyt, warns them semi-seriously, as he left the room.

"I'm sure you and me could play real nice together, sweetheart." A big guy drawled as he pulled on his clown bracers.

"Shut up Randall." The friendly one chided him, before coming over to shake me by the hand. "Ignore him he's an idiot. It's lovely to meet you (y/n), the name's Gary."