• Arthur In Wonderland (pt.5)

** A/N Shoutout to lynnesm for making this great cover collage; inspired by this story. Thank you for sending me this, I feel honoured and I absolutely love it! **

This is a super long chapter, in order to make up for my slow updates. Hope it's okay, Avengerssoulmate 🤞🏼

⚠️Warning; as usual with this story, contains heavy NSFW!

--3rd person POV--

The hour was late.

The clock that hung on the wall above the nurses station showed that it was almost midnight.
(y/n)'s shift had ended over two hours ago, but she hadn't gone home.

No.

Instead, she had sat out in her car, desperately trying to decompress after her long, gruelling day, and tried to gather her scattered thoughts.

Thoughts of Arthur Fleck.

The man who was technically under arrest, and no longer in her care now that the staff working the night shift had come on duty.

Any sane person would've just left and thought no more about it. Dismissed his highly inappropriate proposition as nothing more than the ramblings of a desperate, criminally insane man high on pain medication.

But to her dismay he'd somehow worked his way under her skin, like some beautifully tempting parasite. He was parasitical. There was no doubt about that. He was dangerous, but disarmingly seductive, which made him potently charismatic.

"I want you, baby girl.....I could be your daddy. Wouldn't you like that?"

His lascivious words resounded in her head. That low, raspy voice that tickled her ears and caressed her senses; setting every part of her on fire.

But she told herself that her motives weren't driven by any carnal desire she may or may not be experiencing, but rather his pitiful plea for help.
The way he'd begged her for assistance. The blatant fear of being incarcerated at Arkham had been evident in his voice, expression, and actions.
And it had moved her, in spite of her retaining her mask of professional indifference.

When she'd snuck back into his room, he had been sleeping again, and had stirred at the sensation of her trying to manipulate the lock on his handcuffs with a hair pin.

He'd stared at her, drowsy and confused, with heavy-lidded eyes.
Her hair was loose. That was the first thing he noticed. Falling down, framing her beautiful face, and it took him a long moment to comprehend what exactly was going on.

"I can't do this." She hissed in frustration, her fingers fumbling clumsily. "Can you do it?"

As realisation dawned, a slow smile crept across his tired face.

"You've had second thoughts, huh? Good girl. I knew you'd come around to my way of thinking."

Ignoring his remark, she handed him the hair pin, which he took carefully between his thumb and forefinger. A few tense moments followed, of him twisting the small piece of bent metal around inside the lock, then the cuff opened with a gratifying click.