Zayn Malik Imagine 32

I pull open the door of my local market the scent of old mop water and fresh produce hitting me as usual. I head straight to the baskets, grabbing one and and turning down a random aisle.

The new guy is squatting down, stacking cans of tomato sauce. He's in blue jeans, beige timberland boots, and a gray thermal shirt. His hideous green apron adding to his appeal instead of hindering it. Illegal earbuds sticking from his ears. His head nodding to the hidden beat and silent lyrics leaving his lips. His hair chopped into a new style, the sides and back cut into a fade, the top in a man bun. So attractive.

I barely hear him ask me if he can help me.

"What?"

"Can I help you?" He half smiles at me and I know the jokes are about to flood in. Since his first day he's flirted with me in a joking manner. He's delivered groceries to my house a few times and has never failed to comment on how messy it is most times.

"No, just deciding if I should tell Mae that you're listening to music." I joke.

"Don't tease." His eyes flick across my body and back to my eyes.

"What are you listening to?" I nod to his pocket.

"Me."

"What? You sing?" He doesn't answer but stands. "Rap?" I ask after he doesn't answer me.

"Absolutely not, I sing." He smiles.

"Good?" I ask raising my brows.

He shrugs but his smile tells me that he's confident with his voice.

"I sing at Horan's on Fridays, come see."

"Hmm, so you can have groupies in the pit?"

"No." His face scrunches up and that's usually a good sign. "So I can have you in the pit." He reaches both hands around his back and into his back pockets.

"Hmmm..." I drag on. I only have laundry to do on Friday, nothing else after work, but he doesn't have to know that. After all of this time he's finally asking me out instead of having flirtatious banter.

"Oh c'mon, it'll be worth it." He smiles again.

"Okay, I'll try to make it."

"Try?"

"Try." I nod.

"Fine, I'll take it." He says looking down into my face walking towards the front of the store.

I check out two lanes down from him and I can hear his conversation with the older lady he's ringing up.

"If I was a few years older, Mrs. J, I'd be yours'."

"Promise?" She giggles. You can hear her blushing.

"Absolutely."

"You're such a lovely boy, any girl would be lucky to have ya."

"Lucky, huh?" He says it louder just for me, I know it.

Raye rings me up chuckling at Zayn, I laugh a little too.

She looks up at me.

"Our very own Casanova." She jokes.

The little old lady walks past us.

"Bye, Mrs.Jenson." Raye calls.

She bags and I pay. I gather my bags and head for the door.

"See you Friday, Lauren." He calls from his checkout lane.

I just nod, not caring if he sees it or not.

FRIDAY

I finish my laundry early, even though I tried to pracrastinate the job. I purposefully ignored the buzz of my dryer and to add fabric softener making me restart the rinse cycle. Yet, and still, I end up done by nine with plenty of time to head to Horan's.