25

Josie's pov

"I think you should start from the beginning." Leo's dad said, probably as confused as I was.

My mind was running a mile a minute at the information I had just received. I was the one meant to break the curse? How could I do that when I didn't even know what the curse truly was. Both of us looked at my dad expectantly.

"You see, the curse started with my grandfather, my grandmother - his mate - didn't give me much detail on why he got cursed, someone was angry, something got in the way. I'm not too sure, but the curse itself is simple, it was created to stop mates from forming their bond. So far every cursed person has been different. My grandfather was already fully mated to my grandmother so the curse just drove him insane. It was a constant battle in his mind, the second wolf tormented his real wolf until he couldn't bare it anymore."

"My father, their son only received the curse when he was in his twenties. It was naturally supposed to fall upon him when my grandfather died but he was still too young. I believe it stayed with my grandmother - 'the monster' we call it - until my father found his mate. They were able to have me, their relationship in human form was normal, they were able to love each other but their wolf forms would've killed each other immediately, I was told they never shifted together."

"I on the other hand only found out I was cursed a lot later in my life, after my parents died, I fell into a depression because I suddenly had two voices in my head." He laughed a bit before giving all his attention to my mother. He directed his next words to her.

"I know I didn't treat you right and blaming this thing doesn't seem fair but I need you to understand. My symptoms are really close to the surface. I get angry - I got angry, really angry to the point where it completely blinded me. Different from my father, my monster was closest to my human form. It bounced, I suppose, there were times when it felt closer to my wolf form. There would be days where it didn't hurt so much to be around you and there'd be days when it tore me apart to be next to you. I fought hard to fight it so that we could have a normal life, but I suppose my mistake was trying to keep you by my side. I know the way I treated you is unforgivable, but I'm asking you to try and understand that I never wanted to hurt you, th—" 

"I think I need a minute." My mom interrupted him. She got up and excused herself, and I swore I saw her wiping away a tear. My dad watched her leave, a longing look on his face, even though I was too young to have understood their relationship in the past, I could only imagine how difficult it could've been for her. He wiped his tears with his shoulder since he was still handcuffed and for some odd reason I couldn't bare to watch.

Was he just a victim of this thing?

"You said you only found out later about the curse, who told you if your parents passed away?" I asked, trying to change the mood of the room.

"My grandmother, I suppose she is the only one who understands this fully."

"She's still alive?" I asked surprised.

"Yes" he laughed. "The magic from her late mate is keeping her alive because of the prophecy."

"That's crazy." I have a great-grandmother. How insane is that?

"What I'd like to know is how this will affect my son." The Alpha interrupted. "You've mentioned all these symptoms but haven't explained exactly how the curse hurts their bond."

"The monster is fairly dormant, it barely speaks. Think of it like a ball of anger waiting to explode. It is in our blood to naturally want our mates, but it fights that instinct. It's basically a fight between you and yourself. Violence is the quickest defence mechanism, again depending on which form it's strongest it will affect all intimate relations. Any interaction that will lead to the bond growing stronger will initiate a negative reaction. Such as marking, that feeling of wanting to connect to your mate will quickly be replaced with the need to rip his neck out, to ensure you never feel that attraction again. It sounds gruesome and it honestly is."