11

Josie's pov

I stared at the ceiling, watching the small ball fly into the air and softly land into my hand, I threw the ball back into the air, watching it nearly touch the ceiling before it landed in my hand again.

I turned over in my bed and got up. I was slowly starting to get tired of doing nothing. I found myself walking down the empty hallway, trying to forget what had happened on my first day here. My mate was here, right in this hallway. It all felt like it was a dream, like he was never here.

He's the Alpha's son, automatically making me the next Luna, was I ready to accept him, was I ready to accept this pack, I was never good at leading people so why was this honor bestowed upon me. Why did it make me feel so good to know that I had such a good looking mate?

The worst part about living here was the fact that I was always alone. Juliet always left early in the morning to go to work and she'd only be back in the late afternoon, oh yeah I finally found out my mom's friend's name. I would've preferred to call her Miss Dailey , but she told me not to because it made her feel old and to call her by her first name, Juliet. I didn't mind at all, I was living at her house so I would call her whatever she wanted me to.

I also called Kacey and Janelle, turns out I was the talk of the whole school. It seemed that everyone was curious as to why a girl like me was literally chased halfway through the school by the Alpha's son. The conclusions people came up with were insane, one said that I had stolen something from him resulting in him seeking revenge. Out of all the ridiculous conclusions no one had thought that he could've been my mate. I mean who would right?

Janelle flipped out when I told her about my mate, unlike Kacey who was very calm but excited about the whole situation, she literally blew my ear off with her fan girl screaming, they both were very happy for me but also they also understood my reservations about him, they knew where I was coming from and just like my mom, they said they'd respect any decision I made.

I miss my mom

I opened the fridge and grabbed an apple, I left a note in case Juliet came back and noticed I was gone, my mind already made up I walked out of the house deciding that exploring would be a better use of my time. Stepping out felt like a new world, my mind was so used to seeing my neighborhood that being in place like this felt so different, foreign. There was only a few houses next to the one I was living in, the road I used to get here which seemed to be endless and also the beautiful forest in front of me.

I decided I was going to explore the forest, I mean how unsafe could it be if people actually built their homes around it. I stepped on the road , with no one in sight I made my way towards the first bunch of trees, the way they swayed with the wind and seemed to camouflage the sky, it was hindering honestly beautiful, the small shrubs I passed by seemed to have little berries on them, I wasn't stupid enough to stick one of them into my mouth but they looked beautiful, everything seemed to look almost perfect. Maybe that was just how nature was, it reminded us that there is still so much beauty left in the world.

Maybe this was all I needed, a day to just unwind. I breathed in feeling the wind blow my hair back. My head turned when I heard running water, I followed the sound, walking slowly both curious and also nervous, if there was anything in this forest, I think I'd be able to defend myself, i was a werewolf after all.

I was met with the most beautiful stream of water that led to a lake, the water seemed to glisten with the reflection of the sun. The water looked so clean, I ran my hand through the flowing water, it was lukewarm, it felt warm against my fingers. I sat down next to it and just listened to the water, I laid on my back and looked into the sky, I could see the sky here unlike when I was under the trees, I breathed out finally feeling relaxed, or at least a little bit relaxed. I still had to make a decision about my mate, I only had two days left, two days until he'd come back.

I didn't know how to feel about it all, I was scared yes but what exactly was I scared, it wasn't him because I don't know him so I can't be possibly be afraid of him. Was it the uncertainty of him turning out like my father that frightened me so much, the idea of a mate, was I ready for that kind of commitment.

I know it won't be that hard with the mate bond and all but...

There's always a but with everything I think.

Why can't I just make up my mind, why can't I just decide and live with my decision. Would it be so bad just to try and get to know him better?

I sat up when I heard the crunch of a twig, I turned my head to the direction of the noise but I saw nothing but trees.

Maybe it's time to go back to the house,

I got up with a strange feeling, I tried shaking it off but I always thought if something smelt like shit, it was shit. I dusted off my hands, my feet already knowing the way back. I couldn't help but to admire the trees on my way back, I felt irritated that I actually left because of a sound I heard, I mean what if it was nothing? I was totally overreacting wasn't I?

I made it out safely, I say that like I was actually in danger.

I walked back to the house and surprisingly Juliet was there.

"Where did you go off to?" She asked unpacking groceries from dozens of bags on her kitchen table top.

"I just went out for a walk, It was getting a little stuffy in here" I lied, it wasn't a complete lie, I did go for a walk.

"Next time text me or something before you leave so I don't get a heart attack when I come back and find you gone, a lot of weird things have been happening lately" she said opening the fridge.

"Weird things?" I asked suddenly curious.

"Yeah, things disappear, one of the ladies in my book club said she saw a man walking in the forest, but no one really believes her, she's the crazy one" she laughed, like it was a good ol memory.

I kept quiet, my brain thinking too much.

"I hope I didn't scare you too much with my ghost stories, they're just stories, don't over think it, you'll lose your mind" she said.

"Okay, I'm going to go lie down" I said walking away to my room.

"Dinner will be ready in a few hours" she called over the walls.

Now my head was going to explode with all this talk about weird things happening around this part of town and my mate.

My poor head,

It needed to make decisions without my heart's help.

**********

Thank you to all those who have been patient, I'm happy about all the support this book is getting, I'm kinda getting off my writers block, I'm writing exams so I'm not sure if my writing will be consistent,

I'm still grateful to all of you reading this book, it brings so much joy to my heart, I really do appreciate you guys

Love you all

-Monalisi💜