19

John's pov

"Grandmother" I greeted the old woman, kissing both her hands. I could only imagine how tired she was feeling. This whole situation was difficult and it was taking a toll on her physical health.

I watched her smile tenderly, her eyes tired.

"The night has finally arrived grandmother, after months of planning. I will finally be able to have what's mine and to calm your fears, the curse will pass. I have the girl, there's no way she will escape. . . In any case, she belongs with me, this way we will both be at peace" I held her by the hands to reassure her.

A tear rolled down her cheek.

"John" she signed and caressed my face with so much pain and regret in her features.

"You know I never approved of how you handled the situation, there didn't have to be so much violence." she expressed. "I have lived this long and have still failed to protect you. I should've told you the truth since your parents were taken from you so early, but I thought I was protecting you my child" more tears rolled down her cheeks while she shook her head. "So much pain because of one mistake, this guilt has not allowed me to rest" she got up slowly, her legs wobbling a bit. I helped her up, blinking away the tears in my eyes.

"Your grandfather left me with this, it just might be able to help you. I do not know if I will ever find peace but as long as I'm alive I will be by your side," she handed me a book - the cover was really old, it felt like the pages would turn into dust.

I held the book carefully in my hands. There were words written in a language I could not understand.

"I can tell you what it says, but unfortunately you'll only be able to understand it if you let the. . . if you let -" she grimaced before finishing her sentence. " - it take over". She scoffed to herself. "After all these years I still don't have a name for it"

"Whatever you do" she warned quickly "do not repeat your past mistakes, keep the girl safe or even bring her here, I will take care of her. You need to explain to your mate exactly why she must stay with you. Don't hurt her again, she's suffered enough."

"I didn't mean to do it, I lost my family, but now I'll get them both back" I said determined. Plans of the next few hours flashing through my mind. Everything was perfect, nothing could go wrong.

My grandmother was all I had left. I had moved her to a house inside of the town so that she could live in a normal environment. She would've been in too much danger if she had stayed with me. She raised me all by herself and picked me up when I destroyed my life. It was already too late when she told me the truth about our family - about me. Where all the anger came from. I forgave her for keeping the secret for so long, she too was in denial regardless of what happened to my grandfather. Whether or not I believed it, this thing that flowed through my veins kept her alive for longer than any normal werewolf. Her life was now purely dedicated to me and finding a cure to this whole mess.

I sighed, "This book, did grandpa write it himself?" I asked.

"Yes" she smiled sadly "he wrote it the day I lost him." She sat down.

"Lost him?" I asked curiously. I didn't know much about my grandfather, just the little she had shared with me.

"I lost him twice, firstly to this thing and secondly to this world. I wish you all the best and I'm certain you will come out of this successful. Go and do what's needed before the full moon disappears, you know these things can get complicated. I'll be here as always, hoping for good news," she relaxed into her chair, throwing a small blanket over herself.

I kissed her forehead before leaving the little house. I held the book close to my body. I glanced at all the people walking around, living their normal lives, unaware of the danger walking amongst them.

I got into my car before driving towards the woods. There was way too much riding on today, and the stress of it all was getting to my head. I stayed in my car for a while once I got near the house. I always made sure to park far enough to not alert anyone.  I breathed in slowly, and stared at the book sitting on my passenger seat. I reminded myself.

I'm doing this for the good of the people I love.

I got out, the book tight in my grip and walked deeper into the forest, masking my scent at the same time. I looked up at the sky, realizing that it was far later than I had initially planned to come back. Hopefully everything was running smoothly.

I came in through the back door to avoid all of the people in the living room. Most of my men had already started the party, I didn't mind but I was in no mood to entertain them right now. I would eventually join them to celebrate.

Matt greeted me once I entered my office, hands fidgeting. I put the book in my drawer before turning to him.

"Sir, thank goodness you're back. The girl, she's refusing to eat and what we've given her won't keep her healthy for long" he rushed.

"Then leave her if she doesn't want to eat. I don't understand why she's so defiant. You've treated her with respect haven't you?" I asked him seriously.

"Yes, of course s-sir. I treated her like she's my own" he stuttered.

I glared at him.

"I mean like she's one of us, you know, family" he corrected himself.

"Why are you so jumpy anyways, is something the matter?" I asked watching as the younger man sighed.

"We're not going to kill her, right boss? I know I swore to do everything for you but I don't think I could do that, she looks so innocent and I still don't know what she's doing here," he said.

"We're not going to kill her." I clarified, like I was explaining it to a child.

"We're not?" He visibly relaxed.

"No ones going to get hurt." I reassured him. Maybe trying to convince myself too. I walked up to him and patted him on the shoulder.

"Go get her, bring her to the room we prepared, it seems that time has come."

He nodded before walking off. I looked at myself in the mirror, a blur between monster and man, but that would be fixed after tonight. I breathed in deep, trying to release the anxiety building up. I had been waiting for this full moon for far too long. Everything was riding on my next moves.

I checked the time once more before building up the courage to walk out the room. The hallway felt strangely empty, and my footsteps grew heavier the closer I got to the end of the hallway.

I stopped at the door. There was no reason to feel nervous but I couldn't shake off the feeling. I had already prepared myself on how I would explain myself. How I would tell her the whole truth and hopefully she'd agree to be part of my life again. And in the unfortunate case she denied me, I'd then have to persuade her somehow. She'd have to agree anyways, this affected our daughter too.

I pushed open the door to see a beautiful silhouette, her back was turned against me.

Beautiful

The dress she had on made her look incredible, she had her hands tied. I closed the door behind me and she turned around.

The wind got knocked out of my body when I saw her tear filled eyes. Her eyes grew wide at the sight of me.

And the same time we both exclaimed.

"Josephine?"

"Dad"

But before I could even tear my hair out because those idiots kidnapped my daughter instead of my mate, a loud alarm rang throughout the whole house. I stepped back into the hallway before one of my men grabbed me by the arm.

"Boss we're under attack"