23

Josie's pov

"What's going on?" I asked frantically to the lady who was leading me to where my dad was being held.

"We're all very unsure. You're the only one he keeps calling for."

My confusion got even worse, and why was she walking so fast? I could barely keep my thoughts in one place. How could I attack Leo like that, what the hell just happened. I could feel a slight burning sensation on my back from where he scratched me.

Elena. Why was she so quiet? Her silence was making me grow tense, and my head felt so clogged, I felt like I was seconds from losing my mind.

We stepped into a hallway filled with cells but they were all empty, but even before I reached his cell I heard the commotion. The lady accompanying me glanced at me worriedly before she motioned for me to go forward.

"This is as far as I go, Alpha's orders" she bowed respectfully before leaving.

Before rounding the corner I caught my mom sitting on a chair. I walked over to her quickly considering the place was starting to give me the creeps. The closer I got, the clearer my father's cell came into view.

"Josie!" My mom rushed to me the second she saw me. She squeezed me tightly, her hands feeling my temperature and eyes roaming over me frantically.

"Are you okay, are you feeling alright?" 

"Why wouldn't I be?" I asked, starring at her, puffy face and red eyes. She had been crying, why was she shaking so much?

"I need yo to listen to what your father has to say."

"Why would I listen to him? He tried to kill me!" I argued.

"I wasn't planning on killing you." My father spoke for the first time, making me look at him.

"I wasn't talking to you." I snapped but when I looked at him closely he looked really pale.

"Josie!" My mom scolded. "I know you're angry with John, but I need you to listen to what he has to say. I didn't believe it at first but anything that concerns you, concerns me."

I locked eyes with her before reluctantly turning to my father. "Talk". 

He visibly relaxed, eyes watery even before he spoke.

"I know that I haven't been a good father to you, nor a good mate to your mother, but what I am about to tell you is very hard to believe" he stopped, breathed in deep before continuing, "Forgive me honey, I did my best to try and save you, but I failed"

"What are you talking about?" I interrupted. "Save me? Save me from what?"

"How's your wolf doing, can you speak with her?" he asked, ignoring me completely.

I stayed silent. Why would he ask about my wolf directly? How could he possibly know what was going on with me. No, I can't speak to her. Elena had never been quiet for this long before.

"Josie, please answer him." My mom urged, her voice wavering like she holding back her tears.

"She's quiet" I replied simply. He sighed.

"I know you must be confused right now. I never though we'd come to this point so I never prepared what I would say to you. Josie, our-my side of the family carries a burden because of one mistake. There is a curse over my bloodline, and now it has fallen upon you."

I looked to my mom before laughing. A curse? The only curses I'd heard of were in my childhood story books. "He's joking right? Because it's not even a funny joke. What's really going on? Why are you both looking at me like that?"

"I know it's hard to believe honey, but it's true." My mother spoke softly.

"No, what? I'm not cursed!" I shook my head, "I feel just fine, why are you saying this? I don't want to be here anymore." I pleaded with my mom.

"Your wolf will be back in a few hours, she'll be weak but you'll be able to talk with her" he said.

"You're saying my wolf is gone because of this supposed curse?" I asked, still confused.

"Yes, your wolf is trying to fight the intrusion" he stated.

"What intrusion?"

"Your second wolf's intrusion"

"You've got to be kidding me. A curse? And now two wolves? What are you even saying? I only have one wolf. I'm going to lose my mind, wait I've already done that." I said hysterically. 

"The curse won't really show itself until you find your mate." he said, catching my attention.

"What?"

"It's different with every descendent, but the curse has only one goal: to destroy the bond mates have, your second wolf will do all in its power to kill your mate Josie, in any one of your forms you'll resent him, and him too depending on the power your wolf has. Today the curse transferred onto you, I felt the separation. I know that this a lot to take in at once but we can find some way to cleanse the curse before you find your mate so that you have a chance" he spoke frantically.

I suddenly felt light-headed, this couldn't be true. Earlier I was blinded by rage and I honestly wanted to hurt Leo. It seemed my mom hadn't told my father that I had found my mate already. What if this was all true, Leo had been as violent if not more with me, what if what was happening to me was really affecting him?

"I can't breathe" I swore under my breath. I couldn't handle what I was hearing. All I wanted was my mom to hug me and tell me that it's all a lie. I wanted Leo, but was I a danger to him now? I didn't know what to say or  how to react so I ran.

I ran ignoring everyone calling my name. My vision was blurry because of all the unshed tears. I got to my room, closing the door behind me before falling to my knees next to the bed.

I cried, letting all the tears and dread consume me. I screamed because I couldn't feel Elena, my other half. Who was I without her? I needed her so badly, she'd comfort me. I cried for Leo, how could I face him now after our fight. Everything was going so well and now it all crumbled in a day. I heard the door open and the person came and sat down by me. I immediately hugged my mom, my tears soaking her blouse. She hugged me tighter.

"My precious baby" she whispered.

"It hurts so bad, this pain in my chest. I've never felt so empty before, and Leo? Will I love and hate him too. Wouldn't killing him, kill me too? Will I lose my mind?" I cried.

"I don't know the answers to your questions, but take your time to process this and when you're ready, we'll go back and get answers. No mother wants to see their child suffer. I have no control over what is happening but I'm here for you to cry on." She said as she stroked my hair.

Will I become like my father?