01 - ❝the short readhead with bad jokes?❞

❖

The sound of metal scratching against metal was a pleasing sound to no one's ears, but that didn't stop the young girl from adding a tally to the top of her gun with her knife. The sound was even more gut-wrenching because it meant that she had been the witness to yet another death. Seventeen tallies littered her gun, all seventeen from her group of eighteen, and that including her.

Checking to see how much ammo she had left, she let out a sigh. She only had 3 rounds left. The only other things she had were two knives, one slightly larger than the other, a can of spagettios, and supplies needed to take care of a baby that she hadn't had the heart to discard after the reason for her second most recent tally.

Now that she was on her own, she didn't have anyone to watch her back. So, instead of risking getting bit by one of the dead ones roaming around, she decided to climb up the sturdiest tree she could find in her vicinity.

Climbing trees was something she prided herself on long before the end of the world, so it wasn't really that much of a risk. Her main concern was the branch she was situated on falling from beneath her. Or people. She knew all too well what people nowadays could do, but she still held onto the hope that there were good people out there because she wanted to believe that she was one of those people.

She had climbed the tree she was currently in with the hopes that she could catch some sleep, but an unfamiliar sound filled her ears, a sound that was almost unrecognizable because she hadn't heard it in so long, it was the sound of a car engine.

Deciding it was worth investigating, she started undoing the belt that was wrapped around her body and the tree trunk, an idea she got from a book she had read.

Not wanting to drop her bag down and risk breaking open her can of spagettios, her only food, she pulled her faded gray and lime green backpack over her shoulders and started descending the tree. She was successful most of the way until a branch supporting her snapped, falling to the ground and taking her with it.

She laid there for what she estimated to be six and a half minutes before standing up with a groan. Assessing herself, she decided that she had no major injuries but she would probably get some pretty nasty bruises.

After a moment of realization, she remembered why she had climbed down the tree in the first place.

With one hand on her gun in case she ran into trouble, she started heading towards where she thought the noise came from. It had ceased since she had fallen, but through the trees, she could see an abandoned house that she assumed had been where the cars were headed.

When she saw two cars, a truck, and a motorcycle, she silently pleaded that they were the vehicles she heard and not some old random ones that had been there since the beginning.