07 - ❝i trust your loyalty❞

❖

It had been a long time Elle was as scared as she was right now. Rick had sent her back to the car with two bags full of guns while he stayed with Morgan. Her instructions were to stay at the car until they all came back, but there was something she needed to do.

She had never known a place with so many happy memories that could bring her so much fear. Her brain was sending a warning signal to her body. It was telling her not to go in there, because all that house brought was pain.

Still, she went in.

Not a single walker was in the house, not even a sign of one. It was odd. She had half been expecting to find her mother's corpse, some closure, know that she was actually dead, not out there somewhere.

The cabinets were empty. The fridge was empty, not that anything in there would still be good. The food closet did not hold any food, but it was not empty. When she opened the door hundreds of children's belongings came falling out and landed at her feet. Her things. Her mother had kept her things. She didn't know what to think of it.

Once she realized she would not find anything useful, she made her way into the only room she hadn't searched. Her old room.

Inside was nothing special. A small bed perfectly made with green sheets and a white blanket. An empty dresser, dust covered mirror, and a broken record player.

Everything else had been stuffed in the closet.

She circled the room, running her hand across the bed as she did. It didn't feel like she thought it would. It didn't feel like home.

The sound of knuckles rapping against wood filled the air and she spun around, gun raised.

"Don't scare me like that," she huffed when she saw that it was just Michonne.

"You gonna put that gun away?" Michonne nodded toward her gun that was still pointed straight at her.

"Right, sorry," she tucked the gun away. "What are you doing here?"

"You've really got those boys out there worried."

Elle didn't own a watch, but she realized she had been gone a while when she looked out the window and saw the setting sun.

"Oh shit, I didn't realize how long I was gone," Elle said.

"Clearly you had something to do," Michonne looked around. "This your old house?"