40 - ❝reserved for bad guys and carl when he does stupid shit❞

❖

It felt like the prison. That's what Elle thought when she woke up the next morning. They had defeated the Saviors, all of them coming out alive. They could enjoy life now. The Hilltop was helping them with their food troubles and at the moment they didn't have to sleep with one eye open. She had loved living at the prison during those months before the flu hit. That's where she had been happiest. But Alexandria was close to dethroning the prison, as long as nothing unexpected hit them like what happened with the Governor's attack.

"You okay?" Carl asked, looking down at her where she was lying on his chest. She had fallen asleep in his bed shortly after the group got back so their parents agreed that she could stay there for the night.

"Great actually," she smiled, stretching up to plant a kiss on his lips. "Reminiscing about the days we used to stay up til dawn reading comic books."

"The good old days," Carl agreed with a laugh. "We aren't those kids anymore."

"We're not even kids anymore," Elle piggybacked off his statement. "Not by my standards at least."

Carl nodded, "Mine either. Now will you please show me your stomach? I wanna see how hard that guy hit you."

Although she rolled her eyes, Elle did pull up her shirt to show Carl her stomach. From the outside, he had been overly concerned as there wasn't a bruise or anything else that implied an injury. She gave him an 'I told you so' look as she put her shirt back down, standing up and moving to head downstairs.

"Sorry that I want to make sure my future wife isn't dying. Gotta make sure you make it to the wedding" Carl said as they walked in sync down the stairs. "And nothing hurts inside? Don't lie to me, I'll know."

Elle tried to stop her smile after his comment about them getting married but she couldn't help
it. Her face turned red and she got giddy any time he brought it up, it was her greatest weakness. She was fifteen and talking about marriage, little Elle would've thought she was crazy.

"I'm a little queasy, it ain't bad," Elle honestly answered Carl's question after the red in her cheeks had gone down.

The topic of conversation immediately switched upon the two arriving downstairs. Daryl, Ollie, and Tommy were all in the kitchen. It was an unusual trio. It seemed that Daryl and Ollie were discussing something important and must've needed Tommy to be distracted because he was sitting at the table immersed in a picture he was drawing.

The teenagers were immediately noticed by Daryl and Ollie, their conversation halting. They had similar looks on their faces as if they were bracing for impact. Both of them were looking at Elle and from those things combined, it could be easily assumed that their topic of conversation was going to piss her off.