17 - ❝i ain't gonna let anyone get you❞

❖

Terminus. Elle had almost forgotten that was their end goal after everything that had happened. It hadn't even been twelve hours before they had to pack up and move. Her eyes were still red and puffy, it was painfully obvious just from looking at her the trauma she had gone through.

They continued to follow the train tracks, Elle falling behind every time. She couldn't help her feet from dragging and her mind to wander away from paying attention to her steps. Daryl ended up carrying her on his back most of the way.

When they got close enough, they decided to go through the woods for more cover. Elle hopped off Daryl's back, not wanting to force him to trudge her through the woods.

Everyone was surprised at Elle's sudden change to alertness. She had gone from being completely unaware to what was happening to having her gun drawn out at the ready, something else that was odd given that she usually opted for her knives.

Elle wasn't surprised. Her gun had been her first comfort. She'd always been good with a gun, not with her knives. That was something she had taught herself out of necessity. Her knives were her new normal, but her gun would always protect her, and it could do much more damage.

And if they were using the woods for cover, anyone could use the woods for cover. That included him.

It was a surprise to Elle when they reached the fence surrounding Terminus. She'd been paying attention to everything around them, but not where they were going.

Rick had them split up to scope the area, Elle trailing after Daryl as if it were second nature. She hadn't even noticed Carl follow Michonne rather than Rick.

"You've been looking for him, haven't you?" Daryl asked while they walked. They were both aware that he already knew the answer.

"He told me he would come back for me," she said, stopping herself and turning to look at him. "His eyes..."

Daryl grabbed her and pulled her into a hug, her arms immediately holding his torso so tight he momentarily flinched. She hid her face against his chest, every emotion she had bottled up since the previous night flowing out.

"I ain't gonna let him get you," he told her. "I ain't gonna let anyone get you."

"You can't promise me that."

"I sure as hell can," Daryl argued. "Only way someone'd be able to hurt you would be if I was dead."

"Stop talking about dying," Elle said, lightly punching his chest as she pulled out of the hug. "I just got you back."

They turned around to meet back up with the other three and Elle finally gave herself time to look at the Terminus building. It made a shiver run up her spine. But if she'd been able to make a prison home she tried to convince herself that anything could be home.