21 - ❝couldn't keep her mouth shut or had to play hero?❞

❖

"But she's alive?"

Noah looked at the young boy standing in front of him. His eyes were red and puffy and the look on his face when Noah had told him he had seen Elle should have been put in a museum.

"She's alive," he confirmed. "Got herself a few black eyes but she's alive."

"Couldn't keep her mouth shut or had to play hero?"

"Both," Noah told him, a grin spreading on his face for the first time since Elle had been taken. "We'll get her back."

"I know," Carl said. "I should be used to this, she has a habit of getting kidnapped."

"Weird habit to have," Noah joked. "You still upset your dad won't let you come?"

"Yeah," Carl grumbled, remembering why Noah was even with them in the first place. "But Daryl's going. And nothing will happen to Elle if Daryl is there."

"Nothing is going to happen to you while I'm around," Elle promised Tommy. "But I need you to stay here."

"I want to help!" Tommy complained, sitting on his bed with his arms crossed while he kicked his feet back and fourth, unable to touch the ground.

"Tommy please," Elle was practically begging. She was silently apologizing to both her biological parents as well as Daryl and Maggie. She liked to act the exact same as Tommy and now she was receiving her karma.

"Three lollipops?"

"Deal," Elle agreed. "But you're going to get a cavity. And I'll have to steal them. So you'll have to be patient."

"Okay," he smiled, only caring that he would get his three lollipops.

Trying hard not to grin at the fact that Tommy was still able to keep his innocence in the end of the world, Elle left him to go find Beth and create their plan of action. Now Carol was here. And they were hoping that meant everyone else knew where they were, especially since Noah was out there.

Water seeped through the bandages that covered Elle's hands as she rung out a rag. As she brought it up to the window to start washing it, she let out a low whistle, a similar one following moments later from the blonde girl mopping a few feet away.

She tapped the window three times, their secret way of saying that the cost was clear. What happened next was up to Beth, so Elle just continued to wash the windows. Or at least pretend to. She didn't give two shits what they looked like, because she wasn't planning on sticking around much longer.