20 - ❝that's a no-no word❞

❖

It was hard for Elle to decide whether to focus on the note from Beth telling her to meet her in her room or the fact that Tommy, little Tommy that she hadn't seen in two years, was standing right in front of her.

So, newly dressed in scrubs, she pulled Tommy with her as she walked down the hall to the room number on the small piece of paper from Beth.

"Are you, are you okay?" she started off with, unsure of what she was supposed to say. "Did you see the signs I left? Oh shit, could you even read them?"

"That's a no-no word," Tommy told her, not answering a single question.

Not sure where her to laugh, cry, or sigh, Elle went with, "Tommy, it's the end of the world, you can say no-no words."

"No I can't."

"Well you don't have to but it's fine if you do."

"They're no-no words, that means no saying them."

"Tommy. How long have you been here?" Elle finally stopped the pointless argument, for once in her life trying to be serious.

Tommy didn't care though, he had a lollipop in his mouth and was skipping alongside of her.

"Since my mommy and daddy died," he told her, the lollipop still hanging in his mouth.

That was why she had been unsuccessful in finding him. He had been taken.

Tommy could almost see the steam coming out of Elle's ears as she stopped walking, looking as if she was trying to clench and unclench her fists but being unable to due to her bandages. She resorted to biting her lips together, unable to move her feet, knowing that if she did she would walk straight to wherever was in charge and take a scalpel to their head.

"Are you mad at me?" Tommy asked in a soft voice, much less cheerful than he had been a minute ago.

"Oh I'm mad alright," Elle told him. "But not at you. Let's go."

The trip to Beth's room took longer than it should've because Elle had gotten them lost twice, Tommy having to lead them back in the right direction.

Elle's anger had not shrunken during their journey, and it only grew stronger at the sight she saw when she entered Beth's room.

"Get the hell away from her!"

Elle's injured hands connected with the shoulders of a tall, male officer, pulling him away from Beth. The lollipop that had been in his hands dropped to the ground. The same lollipop that he had just put in his mouth and then tried to force Beth to put it in hers.

Her fist collided with his nose before he could even process what was happening, her having to shake it off due to the pain that swelled from the unhealed cuts.