11 - ❝don't do anything stupid❞

❖

No matter how much Elle preached that she hated quarantine, it seemed to be doing good for the girl. Like a load of stress and responsibility and worry were lifted off her shoulders. Yes, she was still worried about everyone who was sick and the fences and protecting the children and elderly, but she could just be. She wasn't as sad, wasn't as upset and angry and just all around done with the world. It had barely been a day and already she felt like she had been brought back to life, like her energy was restored. It seemed all she needed was a break from everything and everyone.

She was even able to wake up smiling. Until Carl decided to roll over in his sleep and land right on top of her.

A grand sigh escaped her lips as if she was used to this. She grabbed him by the arm and tried to flip him over on his stomach. The only problem was that in his half conscious state he was pushing against her and trying to stay in his current position on top of her.

When she realized that she would not be able to push him off of her, she went another route. She shimmied herself out from underneath him, not having to move him, just herself.

And then she sat on top of him.

"Get off me you stupid ginger," Carl grumbled.

She did not get off, but her mouth went agape and she looked at Beth.

"Did he just called me what I think he called me?"

Beth hid her laughter behind Judith, "I think so."

Carl tried to explain himself while Elle continued to defend her honor. It sure was a sight to see. Elle was shaking her head and hair everywhere, stating she would not stop until Carl admitted redheads were superior. Carl of course would not. He kept hitting her with his hat thinking it would stop her. It did not.

Once the argument was finally settled, Elle winning as she always did, the two of them went out to patrol. It was what they did all day yesterday and it was what they would do all day today. It did not mix well with Elle's level of patience, nor Carl's.

"I was talking with Maggie the other day," Elle said, kicking a stone across the floor. "She reminded me that if the world wasn't shit we'd be in high school."

Carl stopped walking to think. "Holy shit, you're right."

"Dude, imagine how much game I would've had. I would've been pulling guys and girls left and right."

"And girls?"

Elle turned so she was walking backwards, him moving to catch up. "Hell yeah. I mean, I never dated one, but I had a huge crush on one of the girls I moved in with, only a couple months before shit happened. Told her and got kicked out the next day."