26 - ❝welcome to alexandria❞

❖

It was not Rick Grimes' best decision when he decided to punch, therefore knocking out, the stranger named Aaron who had admitted to following them. Although, in Aaron's defense, his intention was to invite them into his community. His community with walls. And houses. And running water.

But the reason it was a bad idea had nothing to do with Aaron, it had everything to do with the fuming redhead approaching him.

"What the hell, Rick?!" she said, getting in his face, making Daryl scared for what she might do to Rick. "He risked his life for us and you just punch him? He showed us a community with walls, are you trying to throw that away for us?"

"Risked his life?" Rick repeated in a questioning tone. "We don't know who this guy is. Why-"

"He sought us out," Elle said, slightly more calm and collected than before. "He didn't have to do that."

"Terminus had walls," Rick told her, his southern drawl heavier than ever. "Grady Memorial had walls. You wanna go back there?"

"I don't want to be out here!" Elle rebutted. "At least when I was at the hospital I knew where the creeps were!"

Neither got another word in though because Maggie took Elle by the arm and dragged her outside. She motioned for Daryl and Carl not to follow, this was a conversation she needed to have.

"You said you would try."

"I did," Elle argued. "Until Rick decided to-"

"No," Maggie stopped her. "Rick is rightfully cautious and you know it. These people might be the good guys we've been looking for all along, but they might be just like the claimers, you ever think of that?"

"No, I didn't think of that," Elle told her, a mocking tone filling her voice. "I've been a little too busy thinking about the claimer who's out here somewhere, his main goal being to find me. Aaron said the walls keep people out. I want to be somewhere where he can't get me."

"Your fear is overcoming your logic," Maggie told her, trying to calm down the conversation. "We can go to this community, we just have to make sure that we can trust Aaron first."

She was right, of course she was right. Elle's head had been shouting "DANGER" at her ever since her first interaction with Lincoln, she couldn't think straight. No matter how self-aware Elle could be, if her brain was sending warning signals, she couldn't ignore them.

"Fine," Elle calmed herself down. "But how do we know we can trust him?"

Maggie sighed in relief, thankful Elle was finally seeing reason. "First things first we need to head back to the barn and regroup."