36 - ❝so when are you going to kiss me?❞

❖

"Carl!"

Elle and Carl's heads both turned at the sound of Tommy's voice. Elle was getting Carl's bandages ready to be changed while Carl repeatedly threw a tennis ball at the wall.

"What's up, Thomas?" Carl asked, going back to throwing his ball.

"My name is Tommy, not Thomas," the younger boy said, matter of factly. "And you're stupid tennis ball is annoying."

"We don't say stupid," Elle said almost robotically.

Tommy crossed his arms and said, "If you can say fuck then I can say stupid."

"Tommy!"

But he was gone before Elle could say a word. He was almost as quick as her, she didn't like it. Thankfully Carl wasn't as quick as her, so when he started laughing at the boy's comment, Elle could swiftly flick him square in his forehead.

"What was that for?" Carl said, rubbing the spot on his head where Elle hit him.

"Laughing at me, obviously," Elle told him. "Now come sit down, we need to change your bandages."

"I can do it myself," Carl said despite the fact that he was listening to Elle and sitting on his bed in front of her. His comment earned him Elle's 'mom glare' and a laugh from Rick and Michonne who were both standing in the doorway.

Ignoring the adult's presence, Elle started unwrapping the bandages on Carl's head while he talked to Michonne and Rick about toothpaste and the run Rick and Daryl were going on. Carl was nagging his dad again about letting him and Elle come with. The teens had been trying all week to convince their dads to let them come, but it was always a no.

"You tell him, Elle, he listens to you," Carl suddenly interjected Elle into the conversation as she started rewrapping his eye with the new bandages. He was a lot less self-conscious about his eye now, especially when it was only Elle, Michonne, and his dad around.

"I can't even go anymore," Elle said. "I'm hanging out with Enid, remember? You're supposed to watch Tommy and Judith. We talked about this last night."

"Why do I always have to babysit?" Carl groaned. He was too busy complaining to even notice Rick and Michonne sneak away so they didn't have to listen to any arguing.

"I'd say you could come but we're going over the walls," Elle said. "I'm not putting Tommy and Jude in danger."

But of course, prying ears thought differently. Tommy had heard his name and instantly came to eavesdrop. Now Elle was stuck dealing with an eager Tommy who would soon be disappointed.

"Pretty please with a cherry on top let me come with," Tommy begged, jumping up and down on Carl's bed. "I won't cause any trouble."

"I say we let him come with," Carl said. "Judith too."