06 - ❝you have the ability to help, use it❞

❖

Bed rest and Elle Coleman did not mix well together. She wanted to move around, help the group, get ready for the fight. Instead she was stuck in a bed with nothing to do but watch Judith. She could barely even do that. She wasn't able to pick her up so any time she cried Beth had to come anyway.

The only reason she was on bed rest was because she had given up arguing with everybody. Only Merle agreed that she should be up and helping. And, well, that didn't count for much.

"Can you move your arm?" Herschel asked on one of his hourly check ups. She tried to lift her arm, and with only a small bit of pain, she could lift it completely straight up. "That's good," Herschel said. "Another day of rest and then I'll allow you to start moving around."

"C'mon, Herschel," she groaned. "It's not like I got shot in the leg."

"Getting shot anywhere requires some bed rest," Herschel told her. "You're tougher than most. When Carl got shot he was much worse."

"When did Carl get shot?!" Elle questioned. It seemed that getting shot had slipped Carl's mind when he talked about his past.

Herschel patted her leg. "That's a story for another day. Sleep." He stood up at that, not explaining how, when, where, or why Carl got shot.

It was hours later before someone else visited her. She had started talking to Judith as if she could respond with words. She looked like a lunatic from afar.

This time it was Carl who joined her in the cell. Their entire time was spent talking about when Carl was shot and arguing over who had the most badass "got shot" story.

"I got shot during a brawl, you got shot because you wanted to pet a deer."

"Mine was way worse!"

"So? Mine was way more badass!"

Their time was cut short when Carl had to go on watch. Elle decided that meant she won the argument.

Eventually she found sleep, but within an hour of falling asleep she was woke up when everyone was running past her cell.

She was still drowsy and had no idea what was going on. She had planned to run after them, but before she even sat up Daryl was yelling at her to stay put.

But when did Elle ever listen?

"Let's go figure out what's wrong, Jude," Elle said as she got out of bed. She wasn't going to leave her here alone, she just had to figure out how to pick her up with only one arm.

It was a struggle, but after a couple of different attempts, she got Judith's head situated on her shoulder and left arm secure around her body.

She walked through the empty cell block. It was a terrible feeling, only hearing your own footsteps against the medal, no one in sight.