thirty-two.

Wednesday, April 1st, 2020

Danielle's POV

I pull out of the driveway and start to head towards the airport. The whole ride there I think about what I felt earlier with Stefania. Stefania puts her hand on my thigh causing me to flinch out of my thoughts, "Bambina, what's wrong?" She asks looking over at me. 

I go to answer her being cut off by my phone ringing. "Can you answer that for me and put it on speaker?" I ask not wanting to be pulled over for being on the phone. 

"Hello?" I hear my mother's voice come from my phone. 

"Hi, Mom," I respond stopping at the red light. 

"When are you supposed to get here?" My mom asks and I hear a loud noise. 

"In about 4ish hours, what was that?" I ask looking over at Stefania. 

"I dropped a mug, I got to go, I'll see you soon," she says and hangs up not giving me a chance to respond. 

"How lovely," I say putting the phone in my pocket. 

"Does she not know I'm coming?" Stefania asks putting her hand in her lap. 

"Uh, I'm not sure..." I pull into the airport parking lot. 

Stefania hits my shoulder, "Danielle!!" she yells at me. 

"What?" I laugh and realized I probably should have told her, "I'll text her," I lean in and kiss her. We get out of the car and put Jeff in her service dog vest. I grab our bags and put her duffle on my suitcase rolling it behind me. I lock the car and we head inside, hand in hand with Jeff alongside us. 

We head inside and get Jeff checked registered. We head over and go through security, I walk through first while they check out bags, and Stefania hands Jeff's leash over to me I watch as Stefania walks through and we collect our bags. We walk over to our terminal and wait. I send a text to my mom telling her Stefania is coming and I set my phone down to pay attention to the beauty next to me. Jeff lays down under Stefania's legs and we sit there in silence. 

"So what were you thinking about earlier?" she asks me taking my hand. 

"Oh, nothing, just thinking," I smile and Stefania knows that I'm not telling the truth. I lean over and put my head on her shoulder. 

"Is your sister going to be there?" she asks putting her head on top of mine. 

"Yeah, they all tested negative so we should be fine," I smile and put my hand on her inner thigh. 

"Flight 435 is now boarding," the woman at the desk yells and we head over to the woman handing our tickets and showing the tag for Jeff. We get on the plane and head to the back where first class is. The plane is mostly empty due to covid and limited traveling. We take out seats and Jeff sits across the aisle. We listen to all of the safety protocols and we buckle up. In no time we are in the air. We of course turn on the small tv in front of us and watch our movie. We moved Jeff to the floor in front of us and held hands throughout the plane ride.

Stefania's POV

I look out the window and admire the beauty from above the clouds. I look over at Danielle who is passed out in the chair next to me. I adjust her head and move her to my shoulder in hopes of her neck not hurting when she wakes up. I look between Danielle and out the window throughout the whole plane right just thinking.

I lift my head from off of Danielle's as we land in Seattle.  Danielle raises her head yawns. I turn over and smile towards her and move my hand from her leg to her hand. I pick up my things and put them in my purse. Danielle grabs our bags from the above storage bin. I stand up and Jeff follows after me. 

We walk into the main building of the airport and head outside. We walk outside hand in hand to her sister's car that is right outside. Danielle lets go of my hand and runs towards her sister with her arms out. I walk up to the hugging sisters and stand there watching. "It's so good to see you now that you're out of that hospital bed," Danielle laughs and Stephanie walks over to me. 

"It's so good to see you again," The woman with the black mask on leans in for a hug. I hug her back and look over at Danielle who is smiling from under her mask. We break our hug and Danielle puts our bags away. 

Danielle takes Jeff from me and sits in the back with her and puts me in the front with her sister. We all get in the car and head our way to the house that Danielle and I were at the last time we were in Seattle. I watch as Jeff crawls into Danielle's lap. 

"Danielle, you must really like that dog since you don't like dogs," her sister says while Danielle is petting Jeff's head. 

"I really like the owner of the dog," I look back and see Danielle smiling down at Jeff knowing what she just said. 

I look back and smile out the window biting my lip. We shortly pull into the driveway of their family beach house. Stephanie gets out of the car and Danielle looks up from Jeff. "You are a little flirt," I smile at her reminding her of what she said earlier that left butterflies in my stomach. 

"I try my best," Danielle says putting Jeff on the leash to take her inside. We both get out of the car and grab our bags from the end. I take the leash while Danielle insists that she take our bags. We head inside and are immediately greeted by her parents who were shocked to see me standing there. 

"You didn't tell them did you?" I ask. Danielle stares at me and doesn't say anything. I glare at her and I stick my hand out to her parents. 

"Hi, I'm Stefania, we met when Stephanie was in the accident," I shake their hand and introduce myself again. 

"Danielle was supposed to tell you I was coming, but of course I didn't remind her more than once, so she forgot."