Chapter ninety-four

When they arrived at breakfast the next morning, clad in their Quidditch uniforms, the sea of red and gold at the Gryffindor table cheered and clapped as Harry, Ron and Faith sat down. Harry and Faith grinned and waved back whereas Ron just gave them a weak smile. 

"Cheer up, Ron!" Lavender called out to him. "I know you'll be brilliant!"

Ron didn't respond. 

"You want tea, Ron?" Faith asked him as she waved at him with his goblet. "Coffee? Pumpkin juice?"

"Anything," Ron muttered as he took a bite from his toast. 

Harry and Faith shared a look as they continued with their plan, waiting for Hermione to arrive to play her part, unknowingly of course. 

"How are you three feeling?" Hermione asked when she walked up to them. She hadn't come to breakfast with them lately, sick of Ron's behaviour. 

"Fine," Harry said and Faith nodded in agreement as she watched as Harry handed Ron his goblet. "There you go, Ron. Drink up,"

Ron was just about to take a sip when Hermione's sharp voice sounded. 

"Don't drink that, Ron!"

All three Quidditch players looked up at her, Harry and Faith trying to look as innocent as possible. 

"Why not?" Ron asked. 

Hermione looked at Harry with wide eyes as if she could not believe what she just saw. 

"You just put something in that drink," She said accusingly. 

"Excuse me?" Harry said. 

"You heard me. I saw you, didn't you, Faith? He just tipped something into Ron's drink. He's got the bottle in his hand right now!" Hermione said. 

"I didn't see anything, Hermione," Faith said, sounding a little too innocent coming from her so she felt a pinch in her side from Harry as he quickly put the bottle in his pocket. 

"Ron, I warn you, don't drink it!" Hermione said sharply but Ron ignored her and downed it in one gulp. 

"Stop bossing me around, Hermione," He said lowly, continuing on his toast. Hermione's mouth fell open and she bent down lower so only Harry could hear her. 

"You should be expelled for that. I'd never have believed it of you, Harry!"

"Hark who's talking," Harry whispered back. "Confunded anyone lately?"

She gave Faith and Ron one last glance before she stormed off. Faith didn't blame her but Hermione never knew how serious Quidditch was. Ron had to feel good to play well and their plan was working perfectly. 

"Nearly time," Harry told Ron after sharing a look with Faith. Because of the bewitched ceiling, they could make up that it was ideal Quidditch weather, only more reasons for their plan to work. 

Once they were done with breakfast, they exited the Great Hall under applause from the Gryffindor supporters and went to go to the pitch to get ready. Harry and Faith had decided that Harry was going to talk to Ron about the lucky weather because Harry was much more of a sweet-talker than Faith as subtlety had never been one of her talents. Yet as she walked behind the two friends, she got a great look of how much Harry had grown since the very first time they met. And even in comparison to the previous year, Harry's back muscles had never been this prominent, especially in the Quidditch sweaters they all wore. 

Once they got to the changing room, they were met with Ginny already in the red Gryffindor robes. 

"Conditions look ideal," She said, ignoring Ron. "And guess what? That Slytherin Chaser Vaisey - he took a Bludger in the head yesterday during their practice, and he's too sore to play! And even better than that - Malfoy's gone off sick too!"