Chapter forty-eight

Wands flew in all directions, some missed and hit bookshelves or torches, others just weren't powerful enough and only gave their opponent a light breeze. Faith was a little quicker than Neville and his wand flew out of his hand with a spark before landing on top of one of the high bookshelves.

"Good one, Faith," Harry complimented her spellwork and she smiled. It felt good to finally do something right, school-wise, even though this technically didn't count as schoolwork. Harry summoned Neville's wand from the bookshelf and threw it back at Neville. "Again," Without a second thought, Neville exclaimed the spell and Faith's wand flew out of her hand. 

"I DID IT!" Neville said loudly. "I've never done it before - I DID IT!" Faith smiled at how excited he was. Harry Summoned her wand again before handing it to her

"Good one!" Harry said to Neville. "Listen, I'm going to walk around to see how the rest is doing," Harry then said and walked towards the middle of the room where something weird was happening to Zacharias Smith's wand. Every time he tried to Disarm Anthony Goldstein, his own wand flew out of his hand. Harry quickly found out it was actually Fred and George who kept silently Disarming him behind his back. After a walk around, he decided it was enough. After he found a whistle in a bookshelf he blew it loudly to catch everyone's attention. A few last wands flew through the air before it was completely silent.

"That wasn't bad," Harry said, "but there's definite room for improvement," Faith saw that Zacharias Smith definitely didn't like that. "Let's try again," 

Faith and Neville faced each other again and pointed their wands at each other. Neville was just a little quicker than Faith but instead of Disarming her, he set her sleeve on fire.

"Oh, no - I'm so sorry, I -"

"No, no, it's OK," Faith reassured him, using her wand to put out the flames before it could reach her skin. "Could happen to anyone, let's try again," Neville didn't look very convinced. "I saw Cho Chang just do it to her friend, no big deal,"

"OK, OK, Expelliarmus!" 

After a few more tries, Neville succeeded a couple of times in a row without setting her on fire again. He seemed genuinely happy he did it which brought a smile to Faith's face too. He was really sweet. When they felt like Neville successfully handled it, Faith tried a few times. When Harry blew his whistle again at nine o'clock, both of the Gryffindor fifth-years mastered it. 

"Well, that was pretty good," Harry said, "but we've overrun, we'd better leave it here. Same time, same place, next week?"

"Sooner!" Dean Thomas exclaimed, a few people agreed. 

"The Quidditch season's about to start, we need team practices too!" Angelina quickly said. 

"Let's say next Wednesday night, then," Harry said, nodding, "we can decide on additional meetings then. Come one, we'd better get going," He pulled out the Marauder's Map and let the students leave, they went back to their dormitories in threes and fours whilst Harry watched Filch carefully. When it was only the four friends left, they went back too. 

"That was really, really good, Harry!" Hermione said excitedly. 

"Yeah, it was!" Ron agreed and Faith nodded. They stepped out of the room and watched the door turn back into a stone wall again. "Did you see me Disarm Hermione, Harry?"

"Only once," Hermione quickly said. "I got you loads more than you got me -"

"I did not only get you once, I got you at least three times -"

"Well, if you're counting the one where you tripped over your own feet and knocked the wand out of my hand -"

"And I got Faith too once!"