Chapter ninety-nine

As soon as Madam Hooch whistled for the game to start, the fourteen players kicked off from the ground and flew up in the air. Faith was just a second short from getting the Quaffle first, Zacharias Smith beat her to it. 

"And that's Smith of Hufflepuff with the Quaffle," A familiar dreamy voice said, replacing Smith as the commentator. Faith shared a look with Ginny who just excitedly smiled back at her. "He did the commentary last time, of course, and Ginny Weasley flew into him, I think probably on purpose - it looked like it. Smith was being quite rude about Gryffindor, I expect he regrets that now he's playing them - oh, look, he's lost the Quaffle, Ginny took it from him, I do like her, she's very nice ..."

Faith looked over her shoulder as she chased after Ginny to protect her from other players and saw that it was indeed Luna Lovegood on the commentator's podium with a frustrated-looking McGonagall next to her. 

"Ginny's passed to Faith Diggory, she's also very nice, she jinxed Smith once ... oh, but now that big Hufflepuff player's got the Quaffle from her, I can't remember his name, it's something like Bibble - no, Buggins -"

"It's Cadwallader!" Professor McGonagall said loudly, making the crowd laugh. 

Meanwhile, Faith was busy trying to refrain herself from punching McLaggen square in the face whilst also keeping track of the Quaffle. McLaggen had started to shout at her for letting them take the Quaffle and did not realise that the red ball flew right past him through the hoop. 

"McLaggen, will you pay attention to what you're supposed to be doing and leave everyone else alone, especially my girlfriend!" Harry bellowed at him. 

"You're not setting a great example!" McLaggen yelled back at him, looking furious from frustration. 

"And Harry Potter's now having an argument with his Keeper, and he mentioned his girlfriend so it's probably serious," Luna said solemnly with her airy voice. "I don't think that'll help him find the Snitch, but maybe it's a clever ruse ..."

Harry swore loudly and he turned away from McLaggen to find the Snitch. He just had to pray that McLaggen would stick to his own position before either Harry or Faith attacked him. 

Faith had caught the Quaffle and was now soaring across the pitch, avoiding two Bludgers from both ways and then joined Ginny halfway. Together they flew towards the goalposts. Right in front of the Hufflepuff Keeper, they split apart, Faith going left and Ginny going right. Since Faith had the Quaffle, the Keeper dived at her but Faith threw the red ball towards Ginny who kicked in the right goalpost. 

Loud cheers erupted from the Gryffindor supporters, and later again when Faith scored. They were leading until Cadwallader scored again, taking the score to twenty to twenty. Luna wasn't talking about the score though, she was more interested in the players' lives. Her dreamy voice that echoed through the entire pitch explained in full detail the day she and Ginny caught Harry and Faith. She also talked about the shape of the clouds and the fact that according to her, Zacharias Smith was suffering from something called 'Loser's Lurgy' because he couldn't keep the Quaffle in his possession for longer than a minute. 

"Seventy-forty to Hufflepuff!" Professor McGonagall said loudly when Luna wasn't paying attention. 

"Is it, already?" Luna said.

Faith was all the way back by the Gryffindor goalposts and watched as McLaggen let through another Quaffle because he was too busy giving the others instructions. He was now jerking Peakes's Beater bat from his hands and tried to demonstrate how to use it correctly to knock one of the Hufflepuff players out of the air. 

"McLaggen, give that back to him!" Faith said warningly as she flew past him. 

"Oh, look! The Gryffindor Keeper's got hold of one of the Beater's bats," Luna's voice drove Harry's attention to McLaggen too.