Ballgame

USS Bonhomme Richard
Hangar Deck
1852 Hours
Day 73
73:18:52:08

With the successful capture of Wake Island, the fleet moved on to Midway. That atoll had been taken with a single strike eliminating the sizable Siren presence there. Of course once again, there was number of prisoners found and rescued beforehand. They had been rescued by a repeat of the same plan.

The success of the operation was good cause for high spirits. Two more islands had been reclaimed by the extradimensional enemy, and one of their top leaders had been confirmed dead. From the reports you got from Admiral Hood and your presence in several briefings, news of this reached the civilian population, to much positive reception.

Still, there was something troubling you. It was these prisoners. There had been no reports in the last war about Sirens holding people captive. Unfortunately, debriefing the former captives had been fruitless. They themselves did not know why they were being held there, save for human shields.

Yet that alone would not suffice, for this enemy would surely anticipate that they would be rescued. With no interrogations, torture or signs of experimentation, Admiral Hood had chosen to move them to the states and leave them in isolation, for the possibility of sleeper agents could not ruled out. Perhaps it was another variable thrown in to see the data they would obtain.

The other troubling occurrence is the big event itself. By every commanding officer's consensus, the elimination of Observer Alpha was far too easy. Not simply in the actual takedown, but the lack of any response thus far. Militaries all over the world braced themselves for a retaliatory strike, but it had not come. Despite the high morale, there was a tension in the air, an expectation. It was not a matter of if there were consequences for what you had done, but when.

Yet no problems had presented themselves. The subsequent operation at Midway was being wrapped up. Navy Sea Bees and other personnel were in the process of deploying and establishing the reclaimed base. The task force was to depart soon and on schedule. Yorktown and Frederich's reports indicated no serious trouble at the base, save for shenanigans.

"Commander." A female voice said close to you. You turned to see a Marine at attention.

"Admiral Hood wants you to transport to the Nimitz, sir."

"Alright, we'll be right there. Dismissed, Private." You turned to the four ship girls with you. "You heard her, let's go."

The advantage of ship girls was that there was no need for a helicopter or boat to do this. Of course, one had to be willing to hold on to one of them as they moved, and not panic when they made the jump from or onto the deck of another ship. In this, you had complete trust in Enterprise. Naturally, the rest of the Azur Lane force was waiting after a jump into the hangar deck of USS Nimitz so as to not disrupt flight deck operations.

"Shikikan-sama!" Akagi was first to greet you. The split task force concept meant the two of you had not seen one another much. You stepped forward to allow a hug from the Japanese carrier. Enterprise and Eugen already had one today, the knowledge of which staved off jealousy.

Akagi separated and carefully inspected you for anything wrong. Once satisfied, she a stepped back after a clearing of the throat from someone else. Belfast bowed in greeting.

"It is good to be with you again, Commander." She said. You responded by giving her a hug, to which she have a start of surprise.

"What? I'm not excluding you from that either, Belfast." You said. She responded by returning it, for there was no known protocol for a maid when her master embraced her. You gave a nod to Amagi and the others as well.