Hunkered Down

Azur Lane Base
Commander's Office
1103 Hours
Day 81
81:11:03:08

When you opened your eyes into the third day of the siege, it was not in your normal quarters. Instead of a nice bed, it was a military issue sleeping bag on the floor tucked to the side of the office. Different sets of gear wear strewn in their own bundles throughout the space. One was your flight gear, and another was a scuba set. But by far the one that had seen the most action was the combat gear, specifically land warfare. Since it began, you walked about armed at all times.

The whole point was to be ready to fight at a minutes notice. It was so serious, that a part of the roads was closed off and set up by the Manjuu's and Sea Bees to house your F-35B in the event you had to scramble immediately. Unicorn had worked tirelessly along with Akashi to upgrade it and every other aircraft the base had. It took five hours with enough experience installing the cubes into the 35's and 18's. The Eurofighters and Viper Zeroes would take longer.

You turned and smiled at a familiar sight, that being a fox girl. The girls, especially the ones in a relationship with you, were insistent on having you be accompanied or guarded. Of them, none could claim to be as devoted as Akagi. She not only fulfilled her role, but like the other three, did her best to make things a bit brighter for you.

You needed all of the positivity and small victories to avoid that ever present doubt. The question of whether or not you are doing the right thing. Was it worth the loves that we're being lost in that very moment. Was refusing to acquiesce to one demand worth it? Could that siren call be the real thing? The one way to prevent this self destructive brooding was to do something.

The first thing you did after the call with Admiral Hood was to call upon and speak to everyone present on base via intercom or radio. You laid out the situation with no restraint for details. For this one, everyone needed to know everything, and their resolve was holding.

For Azur Lane, when the ultimatum was relayed to them for full disclosure, there was no question from them about what they chose. To surrender the Commander that had brought them together, who cared for them and fought alongside them, was unthinkable. A similar sentiment generally rose from the other ranks. No matter the nation, these people did not believe in abandoning one of their own.

It certainly helped you cope with this new weight on your shoulders. Their support meshed with the other reasons. The first was that you had no guarantee that they would leave humanity in peace if you surrendered yourself. They attacked first and then attempted to divide by constructing a war between allies based on a lie.

Then there was principles. Sacrificing yourself to save everyone sounded morally correct at first glance, but that meant surrender to an enemy. Foolish as it was, no part of you would accept submitting to an oppressive and evil opponent.

But most importantly were those close to you. The grief you would cause family back home on its own was a significant deterrent. But the girls. If you did that, Enterprise and Akagi's hearts would shatter. Belfast would wallow in silent misery and Eugen would withdraw to being alone with only drink for company. The thought of hurting them so, even if it was meant to save them, was too much to bear, especially what they were doing for you even now.

Enterprise went out of her way to cuddle you when sleeping was needed and she was there, offering her coat as a blanket. Belfast remained ever devoted in ensuring meals could be a step above normal rationing (You only accepted on the condition that the Maid Corps did the same for all personnel). Prinz Eugen..... well she did her best to take your mind off things in her usual way.

And Akagi? No one was more zealous in protecting you. This was not to say the others did not dedicate themselves, but it is hard to compete against a quasi yandere.