A Star in the Sky

*2 WEEKS LATER*

[Sunny's Point of View]

It's been two weeks and we've been spending most of our time at the hospital, me and Billy never left Vanah's side. Everyone else were either off to the side or off somewhere doing something together, me and Bully would sit there and recite every fun memory that him, Vanah, and I had. There were stories that we recited that made us cry and ones that made us die of laughter. Vanah wasn't awake to join in with the storytelling and laughter but, Billy and I sat there hoping that wherever Vanah was at she could hear us. Yes, sweet young Vanah had drifted off into a coma, doctors and nurses would wander into the room every now and then to check up on her to make sure she was okay but, everyday the look on doctor's face would grow unsure every passing day. Inside Billy and I knew that Vanah wasn't going to make it but, we refused to hear it from anyone.

It was a Tuesday afternoon, Billy and I were walking down the white plain halls arm in arm towards Vanah's room. Everyone else was out eating lunch, Billy and I honestly haven't eaten in like six days, everyone has been bugging us. At one point CC tackled me to the ground and tried shoving food down my throat. We walked into the room and, the first thing we noticed was that the life support machine that was always right next to Vanah was gone. Billy hadn't noticed yet, he left my side and went to the left side of Vanah's bed and plopped down on the usual seat. I felt my legs slowly move towards the empty chair next to Vanah's bed but, at the same time I couldn't feel them.

I looked over at Billy he sat there in the hospital chair, holding Vanah's pale white hand and smiling sadly down at her.

Poor, poor Billy I knew how much he loved Vanah in a sisterly way, Billy had siblings he was the youngest. His biological siblings never took on the form of older inspiring figures for him, Vanah was the one who took on that figure. Billy and Vanah loved each other so, to me these two both were another older siblings and, I loved them both very much.

Suddenly a knock came from the bedroom door, I looked over my shoulder and saw the doctor with a small plump nurse next to him. They both had sad tired looks on their face, I gestured or them to come in, I knew what they were here for, I knew it was time to face the heartbreaking news I could no longer run from it any longer.

Billy had looked up and his smile faded away when he saw the doctor, he came and joined me. We stood there holding each other tight, preparing for the worst. I gestures to the doctor with one hand to go ahead and speak, he let out a sigh and quietly spoke, "I'm so sorry we could no longer keep her on life support, we had to let her off. She has about six days left, I'm so sorry we tried everything we could."

As the doctor was blabbing it all out, as I held Billy I could feel his legs tremble, when the doctor finished the breaking news Billy had let out a sound of pain and his legs gave out under him. I tightened my arms around him and tried to keep him up, he laid there in my arms sobbing. I blinked back tears, the sound of the doctor and nurse's plain white sneakers scuffled against the floor. The door clicked shut and we were left alone, the only sounds that filled the room were our quiet sobs and the heart monitor that Vanah was hooked up to.

Suddenly a quiet voice cut threw all the noise, "Billy? Sunny?"

Our heads shot up and there was Vanah eyes open and her chest was heaving up and down and her breath was kind of raggedy, we ran over to her side and grabbed her hands. She tried to chuckle but, it ended up with her having violent fits of cough.

I put a hand on her shoulder and quietly spoke, "Take it nice and easy Vanah."

She waved me off, I looked next to me and saw Billy blinking back tears. With my other hand I reached over and rubbed his back, we spent the rest of the time having small talk with Vanah, most of the time it was just me and Billy talking letting Vanah catch up on what was happening. We didn't let her say a lot so she could stay strong but, she didn't complain at all. I'm sure she wanted to but, just wasn't to strong enough. Then just as we finished up telling her what was going on a nurse walked in with a clear plastic cup full of water and, three tiny light blue pills. She explained that visiting hours were over and Vanah had to go back to sleep to gain a little more strength, the pills were to help her heal just a little bit.