Into The Unknown

Arizona was generally warm, but the air seemed to be rather cool this morning, likely because of the strong winds and fog. It was only 5AM, dew coated the grass, the sun still sleeping, and the world seemed quiet, empty even.

Indigo placed all of her bags she'd spent the last couple days stressing over into the back of Ashlyn's trunk. She was so worried that she'd either pack too little or too much, but currently she was falling more towards too much.

"You sure you got everything?" Ashlyn asked, as she assisted hoisting up her largest suitcase into the car.

"I've triple checked my list, if i forgot something then it was just meant to be forgotten... you keep asking me to check my stuff but what about yours? are you sure that you have everything?"

"Yeah, i have less to bring. My childhood bedroom is exactly the same as i left it, so i should still have some of my shit there. You're going somewhere fun, just wanna make sure you bring all ya favorite things".

Ashlyn took the first driving shift while Indigo curled up on the passenger side. She tried reading a book to keep herself busy, but her eyes began to feel heavy.

"Hey, we haven't even been in the car for a full hour, you can't fall asleep on me just yet. i'll be bored".

"Sorry, I didn't get much sleep, and you aren't talking to me either so that doesn't help". Indigo sighed, leaning her head against the cool window. She was exhausted, 5am was normally her bedtime not the start of her day. Even if she didn't have insomnia her anxiety was working like caffeine last night, she was so nervous about everything, though in actuality there was nothing to worry about.

"Okay, lets talk then... how are you feeling? Still anxious?"

"Worse than before, I'm in everyone's way, im broke, oh and Corpse hates me".

"You always think everyone hates you, and they never do".

"No he really does, he hasn't talked to me in like a week. I asked to hang out like i said i would, and since then he hasn't said shit to me. Has barely even been online".

"Sounds like he's just a weirdo, don't blame yourself for him acting funny, you asked a valid question. he's probably a scary old man that lives in his mom's basement, and didn't want you to know who he really is".

"Yeah, but even if he is, he was a really cool old man".

"Girl, don't tell me you gotta crush on this mystery man".

"Of course not, we've obviously never even met. I just thought he was nice to talk to, I've had lots of online friends, but none of them asked to actually call me. we talked on the phone all the time, and I know I didn't really know much about him, but he felt like a real friend that actually cared. I don't understand how me asking to see him could change everything so fast. I'll definitely miss talking to him".

"Its gonna be okay, i'm sure you'll meet a million more online boys with decent personalities, but I doubt this will be the last time you talk to him. Eventually he'll probably call you or something, and realize he's a weirdo, boys are always strange like that".

"Even if that's the case i don't want him back, once you leave, stay gone".

•••