Liar

Indigo scrolled through her phone, scanning social media in between matches. She practically scoffed noticing the time, the day always seemed to pass her up quicker than she could manage. It was already half past two in the morning, and she wasn't even a bit tired.  Maybe it was the caffeine, Adderall, or just adrenaline from the game.

The countdown finally began to ping over her monitors, immediately dropping her phone and snapping back into action. She'd been playing for hours, eyes burning, and still never missed a beat, always managed to hold her spot at the top of the leaderboard.

Indigo had been playing video games her whole life, on every possible device you can think of. She ignored the "tomboy" comments growing up, they didn't bother her too much. She never felt the need to be what was considered girly or masculine, she was just herself. Despite what her parents believed, it wasn't a phase she'd grow out of, she turned it into an lifestyle and ended up a 20 year old college student in game design.

"Indigo, I know you like that game and all but can you please stop yelling. I have to cram for this test in the morning". Ashlyn, her biochemist roommate pleaded.

Indigo liked Ashlyn, she was the ideal roommate, and probably the closest thing to a friend she had. Moving from Kansas to Arizona  was the first big change in her life, but she barely had friends in Kansas to begin with, so adjusting wasn't too hard, regardless it was still lonely whether she cared to admit it or not.

"Yeah, sorry".

"Don't you have shit to do also, like school shit".

"This is basically school shit, I'm studying". Indigo joked dryly, putting most of her energy and focus into shooting other players.

"Fuck". Indigo mumbled, the match was cut short by the shitty university wifi, getting her dropped from whatever server she was in.

"That's a sign you should get off and actually do some work, come study with me". Ashlyn said, while jotting down facts from her textbook onto another homemade flash card.

"I don't have anything to study, I've studied endlessly, all I have left is a project due by Friday that I haven't even touched".

"Indigo, it's Tuesday!"

"Sorry, you know how I feel about side scrollers . They feel so flat and boring and I don't even know how im supposed to produce a game with a decent storyline where you can only jump from platform to platform".

"So just fuck Mario, huh?"

"Yes".  Indigo sighed, pushing stray curls out of her face.

Ashlyn suggested different storylines and ideas, but none of them seemed to peak her interest. She knew Ashlyn was just trying to help, but none of this was helping at all, she had a million ideas but no clue on how to actually implement them into a well put together level.

Ignoring the verbal spew of designs going on behind her, she logged into Discord and joined a lobby. This particular lobby was basically a mix of other game design students and actual developers. She came here at least weekly, they've gotten her through many projects.

Indibunny666 just joined.

DUCK56: Hey Indi :)