Ghosting

The past couple weeks had been stressful for Indigo, planning, scrambling to gather money in any way possible, it felt impossible, but from solely good luck she somehow managed to save enough. Finally giving in, she took Luna up on her offer and agreed to stay with her the entire time she would be in California. In less than a week she'd be happily enjoying the convention with her internet friends.

Her mind ran wild, constantly creating scenarios; she couldn't help fantasizing all of the possibilities. It was the first time in a while that she felt genuinely excited for something. Beyond all of the fun she would have with the convention, meeting her friends, and getting to visit the beach, she was just thankful for the break from school.

"Hey Indi, im back". Ashlyn smiled as she walked through the front door, grocery bags in hand.

"Hey, where did you go? I just woke up and you were gone".

"Gas station, but yeah you been sleep forever. I wanted you to come with me, but I got impatient and left".

"You got all that at the gas station?" Indigo raised an eyebrow at the two stuffed white bags.

"Yes ma'am, we needed snacks, I got all your favorites".

Ashlyn smiled proudly, handing her the bag from her left hand. Indigo shuffled through the snacks, she really did get all her favorites; Energy drinks, pretzels, cheese sticks, coffee, sour candy, lemonade, chocolate. She pulled out snack after snack, setting each aside her on the bed, until she finally reached the end.

"Oh my god, Ash you didn't have to get me all this. Thank you so much". Indigo smiled as Ashlyn plopped down on the bed as well.

"Yeahhh, but I love ya and we both deserve it we been working hard and all that soooo consider this a little congrats and going away gift"

"Awww thank you, I wish you could go with me, I'm gonna miss you".

"I know right, unfortunately i have to go visit my boring ass family in boring ass Ohio, but you'll be okay, you're gonna be living it up with Duck and Luna". Ashlyn sighed, she truly wished she could come along, but the universe,or rather her family was seemingly plotting against her. She would choose going with Indigo any day of the week if she actually had a choice. Her father constantly threatened to stop paying for her schooling anytime she disobeyed, and there's no way she could manage paying for it alone.

"True, but that doesn't mean I'll miss you any less, i'm kinda nervous though. I haven't seen Duck in a year, and have never met Luna. I'm scared we just won't click like we do online".

"That's just your anxiety, its normal to be nervous, just don't stress it. Personally, I think you're even better in person".

"I keep worrying that they'll go off somewhere in the convention and leave me, even if it's just for a minute it still just makes me so anxious. I know i'm an adult and that shouldn't need someone to hold me hand, but its still hard".

"Why don't you go in a bigger friend group? Then there'll be more people to stay with, you should ask someone, or post about it i'm sure you'll find some of your mutuals are going. What about that Corpse guy you been talking to, didn't you say he lives in Cali? I bet he'll be there".

"Yeah, Duck said he'd be there with some other people, I don't know how many, but I do know that I don't know any of them, and I was going to ask but I just haven't. We've only been friends for like a month, isn't that like way too soon to meet up?"

"Not if yall were already at the same place, Just ask".

"Okay, maybe I will later tonight".

•••

Though Indigo and Corpse exchanged numbers, they still mainly messaged online, but hadn't stopped getting on the phone since the first call. She considered waiting until he called to ask if he was going, but she didn't wanna weird him out, deciding on text she finally sent a message.

New message to Corpse_Husband

Indibunny666: Hey :)

Corpse_Husband: wassup bun bun

Indibunny666: wyd

Corpse_Husband: watching a movie wbu

Indibunny666: Just got done watching one w Ash

Corpse_Husband: wht kinda movie

Indibunny666: a boring one 0/10

Corpse_Husband: aw man :/

Corpse_Husband: Where u been today u didn't answer my call or text earlier

Indibunny666: Srry was in class did u miss me lol

Corpse_Husband: of course. but u were online. i know you were and u get out of class at 4. Are you lying to me?

Indibunny666: I wouldn't lie but after I got out I took a nap

Corpse_Husband: and then what? you didn't sleep for the last 6 hours

Indibunny666: didn't know i had to report back to u when i do something...I wanted to text you but I have a question that I was kinda nervous to ask

Corpse_Husband: but you can ask me anything

Indibunny666: wellll its nothing too serious kinda stupid tbh :p

Corpse_Husband: ask. I wanna call you

Indibunny666: u can in a little just hold on and I was just gonna ask if you were going to that big gaming convention. Its right by you so i figured u might be there. kinda nerdy lol but whatever

Corpse_Husband: no

Indibunny666: oh why?

Corpse_Husband: lame i have other shit to do

Indibunny666: oh okay thats cool

Corpse_Husband: why do u care u don't even live in california

Indibunny666: yeah well i was going to go and even though you don't want to go to the convention i was thinking maybe we could meet up or something? I plan on staying for a couple weeks so we can whenever, if u want

Corpse_Husband is offline

Indigo's butterflies in her stomach were bouncing off the walls, gnawing at her with anxiety. He almost always responds fast, but the minutes grew into hours and still no response. 'Maybe he's just nervous like me, he'll probably call soon like he said he would' she wondered, trying to stave off the negative thoughts. But neither a call or message came for indigo that night, or the next day, up into the next week.

he was gone.