“Wow. I’ve got to say, you’re quite the charmer,” I acknowledged as Dan came around to pull out my seat. “And you know how to play the part of a gentleman, too.” He chuckled lightly at the small compliment causing the hairs on the back of my neck to stand up.

“It’s how I maintain my impeccable reputation,” he teased. “Take it or leave it.”

“If I take it, what do you guarantee?” I asked, tone dropping slightly to sound a little more flirtatious.

He looked taken aback at my question, or maybe it was just the way I had delivered it. Nonetheless, I kept my eyes trained on his as he corrected his posture in his seat to look almost nonchalant as he thought about his answer. “Surprises.” He watched for my reaction but I kept my face neutral, not giving anything away as I thought about what he was telling me.

That was when Lisa returned with our drinks. “Here are your waters.” She placed our glasses on the small table, but I wasn’t paying attention. She could have said there was a gunman in the bar and I wouldn’t have noticed. No, I was watching Dan, who hadn’t removed his gaze from me. And for some unknown reason, I was the one to break our little staring match, looking away from him only to notice a familiar face moving swiftly on the crowded dance floor.

“What is she doing here?” I asked myself quietly as I continued to watch Holly. She seemed to be dancing with a group of guys and girls, laughing and singing to the loud, upbeat music. It was then that I noticed how loud the music really was. I must have been good at tuning out noise when I wanted too. Either that or I was going deaf.

“Rain, what’re you staring at?” Dan asked, following my gaze to the dance floor.

“Uh… n-nothing. I-I wasn’t staring at anything,” I stuttered, turning back to face him. His eyes seemed to darken, but that could have been a trick of the dimming lights.

“You’re lying,” he said. There was no accusation in his voice; he was simply stating what he had observed.  

“So what? Everyone lies,” I fired back, sitting up straighter in my seat.

“Touché,” he commended and took a sip from his glass.

“So what’s going on with you and Lia?” The question had been itching on the tip of my tongue since we had arrived and I simply had to know. “And why did you ask me to take you on a date?”

He smirked as he put his glass down. “Do I hear a hint of jealousy, or is that just me?” he asked, amusement running thick in his throat.

“It’s just you. And you know, for someone who claims to be observant of me, you’re doing a real good job of confusing jealousy with suspicion.” I waited for a witty comeback but it never came.

“Nothing’s going on between Lia and me. I like you, Rain, and I thought it would be easier to get to you through her. It’s as simple as that,” he told me seriously. I was taken aback. He had used her. I honestly didn’t know what to say. I knew that he liked me, but I thought he liked the mere concept of annoying me, rather than me specifically. “You don’t have to say anything. I know you don’t like me like that.” He sounded a little angry at the revelation.