CHAPTER 6: BETE NOIRE

TRING-TRING!

"Oh! Hello there, Cephas. You ready for the job?" My boss asked me.

"Hell yeah, I am!" I said while give Jack a thumbs up.

"Okay. Just do the dishes, cleaning the tables, and help the customers if they need something. And if you want ask something from me, I'm just behind the counter." He said.

I just nodded at that.

'Why am I doing this job again? Oh yeah! Money.' I thought.

I started my job by helping the customers with their orders. About 7 or 8 people came in today.

After 30 minutes have passed, I was going to clean their tables, but this girl approached me.

'Hmm, this girl looks familiar.' I thought, before I continue to clean the tables and ignoring the pink girl.

"Hello there!" She cheerfully said to me.

'Great, what does she want now?' I turn to her direction.

"May I help you, madam?" I said with... HATE.

"Umm, are you Cephas?" She asked.

Wait a minutes, how does she know my name? Better be cautious around this girl, she might be from the mafia.

"Yes. I am Cephas. So, do you need any help?"

"Yes, can you meet me after you're done with your job?" She asked me.

Let's see here... I'm probably going to get finesse by this girl, but... 

"Sure. I'll meet you after this." I should check if she's really out for my blood or not... can't be too careful, am I right?

"Okay then. Bye!" Then she left the cake shop after buying some cakes.

My manager called me.

'What is it this time?' I thought.

I walk over to his office to see what's up.

"Yo, boss, what's up?" I asked him.

"Umm, the ceiling, the light, and that's pretty much it." He said, being a punny guy.

"You forgot the blue sky, the sun, and space." I countered his joke.

"Hmm, you're a comedian, I see."

I nodded at that.

"Anyway, I saw you talking to that girl. And frankly, this is my first time seeing her here at my shop." He said in a serious voice.

"What do you mean by that?" I asked, not caring the answer anyway.

"What I'm trying to say is... be careful around that girl. She might be dangerous." 

I nodded again, but this time, in a tired way.

"Yeah, sure, whatever." I said in a tired tone.

"Good. Now you're dismiss early. Because I'm closing up shop to take a vacation." 

"Yeah, yeah... what?!" I shouted.

"Umm, what's the matter, Cephas?" 

"Without you, I don't have a job, and when I don't have a job, I can't earned money." I said.

Jack thought about that for minute.

Then he answered back.

"Okay. I'll give you the money right now, because I'm pretty sure you'll the do the job in the future when I come back and opening the shop again."