Chapter 45 - Rohana - Hurry

For fucks sake.

"Willa."

"Shut up, Rohana."

"The queen-"
"I know."

"Don't fuck it up-"

"Ro!" The playing cards fall to the ground and she turns to me with her hands outstretched towards my neck.

Tanith lets her own cards drop and starts dancing with Vanya, Inna, and Kathika. I blow Willa a kiss and then join my teammates in our victory dance. Gods I love it when we play Stacking the Odds. Two teams go through a relay obstacle course around and through Hollis Mountain, the last challenge always being something where Willa and Tanith have to use their mind-control powers to win the last point. This time it was stacking a pyramid of playing cards blindfolded, and Willa just couldn't handle my annoying distractions.

"You guys are a bunch of fucking cheaters."

"Aww, don't be such a sore loser, Nilsa," Inna sings, shaking her butt at her.

"Yeah, I mean it's not like you'll have to do something so insane like standing naked under the freezing ice waterfall for five minutes," Vanya says. "Oh wait...you do have to stand naked under the freezing ice waterfall for five minutes. Sorry."

"Whore," Mak spits.

"Loser," Kathika retorts.

"Alright, alright," I say, stepping in between the cool team and the meh team. "All seriousness, this was fun."

"Yeah-"

"Fun watching you lose!"

Nilsa starts chasing me, the others having their own chases around the training hall. "Come here you little shit!"

"Guys-"

"Sore loser? More like a slow loser!" I call over my shoulder.

"Fuck you, Rohana!"

"Guys!"

"What!" I yell, stopping to look at where Tsil and Kat are standing. One second I'm standing and catching my breath, the next Nilsa runs into me and we both hit the ground. "Heathens Nilsa!"

"You're the one who stopped abruptly!" she yells back, both of us rubbing our heads where they hit each other. I glare are her, but I can't help the urge to laugh. Sadly, I don't get to as Kat and Tsil start talking.

"We have an issue," Kathika claims.

"What is it?" Mak helps me up, then pinches me in the arm. "Ow."

"A few of the teenagers spotted a horse outside the border."

"That's a problem?" Tanith questions doubtfully.

"Considering that it's been out there for nearly two days, yes. I'd say it's a problem."

"Why would a horse be sitting outside the border?"

"What kind of horse is it?" Mak asks, her eyes dilating since her power is currently being held at bay by Willa's wards.

"Not sure."

"Wait. Is it black?" Whenever one of us asks a question like that – especially Serephina – I instantly know something's up.

Kathika squints at her accusingly. "Don't know."

"Well, it's not like we were doing anything important anyway," Willa says as she starts walking to the opening of the training hall cave.

"You're just saying that because you don't want to stand under the waterfall," I argue, letting another smile lift my face.

"I don't know what you're talking about." She mists away, and we don't really have a choice of whether to follow or not.