Chapter 62 - Lance - A Table of Threats

"I thought Serephina was going to pose as my sister," I say to Rohana, Nilsa, Tanith, Branka, and Mak. We're all gathered in the secret room behind the dais, the secondary door on the wall opposite of the one that leads to the escape route. Darius has been silent on the matter, but I'm one for sticking to the plan we laid out, so this is getting me slightly worked up.

"She had to stay with your sister," Rohana explains.

"Is something wrong?"

"Nothing of much concern."

"Your sister's power is slowly building up as her health returns to normal," Branka continues. The two of them don't seem to be at each other's throats anymore. "Based on her last use of her power, it's safer that Serephina muffles its intensity until her full strength is back. Otherwise, she could end up succumbing to the elements that need to be touched."

"In other words, your sister's power would take control of both her mind and body. She'd be a vessel for destruction."

"Like last time?" Garrison asks, coming up to my shoulder. He's not the only one who has since tuned into the conversation when they mentioned my sister. The whole crowd of us listens closely.

"Last time was...weird. Rare," Rohana says. "Her body was in no shape to hold the amount of power she had, but she somehow kept hold of the reins long enough to do what needed to be done. If she were to feel the full force of the power that's slowly sneaking up on her now, the results would be similar to that of which we saw at the beach, only this time, the waves won't retreat."

Heathens that's the last thing we need. I always thought my sister was slightly destructive, but never so much so to do what she did more than a cycle ago.

"All these rules and guidelines on powers and their many limits are making my head hurt," Alex mumbles, slapping his hands to his face.

"And now you losers are stuck with me," Mak declares happily before pursing her lips. "Though I am offended that I wasn't your first choice. You all do realize that I'm a shapeshifter. I can do this." She gestures to her whole body, and as her hands move from her face downwards, her entire appearance moves with them. Her skin lightens slightly, the silver in her eyes disappearing, replaced by gold flecks. Her brightly orange hair goes dark to a brown that shines in the lamplight, her height shortens just a little, and I try not to let my legs give out as I find myself staring at my sister as she was before.

The room goes into an eerie quiet, not even a whisper of a breeze blowing. Her clothes changed too, into an exact replica of Fauna's Jade suit, balaclava, and cloak. The balaclava is pulled up, which only makes the unsettling image even harder to not believe that it really is Fey standing there, scowling at everyone.

"Serephina can pull it off, my ass." Dear Gods even her voice belongs to Fauna.

"Relax, boys. It's only Makataza, no need to shed tears for her," Rohana reminds.

There are several cleared throats, a few sniffles, and I myself blink away tears just as they begin to gather. All I see when I look at Mak who looks like my sister is the last time I saw her lying unconscious on the sand. She looked as if she should've been dead, and it was more frightening to feel her heartbeat than to have simply felt nothing. I'm happy my sister's alive, happier than ever that I didn't lose her too, but a part of me wonders if a life with no recollection of her past is the way she would've wanted to live. The only thing that keeps me going is hoping that her memory will return, and that she can grow well enough to meet the family that's resurfaced.

We have a grandmother now, and an aunt who we always thought of as such family, but never realized that the name was truth staring us in the face. I want her to remember our father if only so she can see how closely he resembles his own mother from the raise of their brows to the studious eyes and clear jawline. I want her to hear their stories and know that our family has been closer in proximity than we've thought. In the past, we only knew of our uncle, Christopher Gabren, who was in the capital. Turns out our aunt was living amongst us until she was hunted down, and our grandmother lived in the western quarter in a small house. Both were a part of our childhood, but they were quickly disguised so no one would go after them.