Chapter 84 - Lance - Past, Present, Future

I'm happy. For the first time in the past few days, I'm happy. It's hard to be happy when you're pining over your dead fate, trying to understand why your sister does the things she does, help people recover from a mythical creature attack, and then fight with the woman you love because you're depressed. But it's okay, I'm better now. I mean I still question what in ten hells my sister does the things she does, but I've mourned Rose and made up with Kat. We didn't get to have our silent fun last night after that whole headache, and we've been riding all day, but I've still had my fun.

No one noticed us drop back behind the escort while we were riding, and everyone was soon too busy with whatever it is my sister did this time to hear just what I was doing to her. She's still smiling from it even now as we all give our limbs a rest.

We stopped after my sister and Darius stopped leading the horses away from the Bhaltayr and Ginerva who somehow ended up soaked. They're all sitting in the sun, trying to dry off. They were begging Darius to dry them the easy way, but one threat from my sister and a smile from Roseia who has been rather worried faced all day, and Darius betrayed his childhood friends. It was funny to see the betrayal on all their faces.

Darius, Fauna, and Roseia all sit together against Melody who takes a rest herself. I still don't know what to call the mare. Mom? Dawn? Melody? I've stuck with the last one, figuring it'd be easier than to remind myself that my mother didn't entirely die that night. I hate thinking about it. The torture and red all over the room. Either way, she's still a kind horse who's smart and cares for us, so I don't see much of a difference.

Fauna spirals stems around her fingers, blooming small white flowers along them while Darius sits back and watches. There's love in both Roseia and his eyes, but they're two different types of love. One of a lost child who found someone to put hope and faith in, and one of a man who found that even without fate, he'd have fallen for her. Assassin or Queen.

They look like a family. The crazy uncles are fighting playfully nearby, the rambunctious aunts watch the manifesto with alcohol and food, the pets knock over a few things and trample a few others, and Kat and I - the only normal people in the madness - sit against the tree and share an apple. I could've taken her elsewhere to fulfill the promises I made last night, but Darius looked at me as if begging me not to give him a stomach ache. Again. I'm still laughing about it. I think it's funny that he gets queasy when people are horny. I mean if anyone really took notice of it, you'd be able to tell who likes who just by glancing over at him and seeing if he's perfectly fine, or turning green and looking like he's going to pass out. Funny how it happens with everyone else but himself. Though I suppose it's a good thing that I can't tell if he's horny or not. I don't need to know such things. Or imagine them.

Everyone starts standing, the silent agreement that it's time to get going. We don't want to stay in one place longer than needed, especially with us getting closer to Cadorelin.

"Ugh. Do we have to?" Kat groans, pushing herself deeper against my chest.

The sensible part of me says no but the idiotic part of me says yes. "We could hang at the back of the group again," I offer, kissing down her neck while one hand slips not so subtly beneath her shirt.

She jumps out of my arms, hopping up and grabbing my hand to pull me up with her. "Time to go!"

I laugh at her enthusiasm and that goofy grin on her face. It has me pulling her close and kissing her tenderly. I don't want to stop kissing her, but I hear my sister's heavy, slow footsteps and pull back. The glint in her eyes tells me she didn't want it to end either.

"Glad to see you two smiling again," Fey calls. She only quickens her steps after I pull away and turn to her. "I was getting kind of worried for a minute there. Thought I'd have to scheme with Roseia to get you two to make up."