Chapter 41 - Katarina - Changing Weather

Some people like the cold. They like curling up in blankets, cuddling with the ones they love by the fire, and making snow angels on freshly fallen snow. They like wearing layers of thicker clothing while the brisk wind tries to snake its way down their collars and along their spines. Some people like the cold.I am absolutely, one hundred percent, not one of those people. I'd rather be thrown into another tree rather than sit another second in this cold.

"Oh, would you stop your pouting," Siscilla says, noticing my haggard face. "It's not that bad."

"Says the one who can literally keep herself warm."

"I offered to control your body temperature, but you said no."

"I'm not a child who needs coddling."

"Needing someone doesn't make you a child. In fact, admitting that you need someone shows that you are anything but a child."

I give her a glare, both because I hate her unending labyrinth of wisdom, and also because Julyan is currently laying on the couch with his head in her lap. She's currently keeping him warm while he takes a nap he claimed to have needed. The cold is still not our full winter, but it's like Marzanna, the Goddess of Winter and the Northern Wind, finally woke up after sleeping in. There's no snow, but it did rain last night. We all woke up to the sound of the pirates outside cursing as they ran to squeeze inside their tents. Some of the more drunk pirates just lay in a puddle and fell asleep or started rain dancing. I stayed up and continued to be entertained by them for most of the night. It's probably why my hands are pale and not warming no matter how long I tuck them into my armpits or between my legs.

Levi comes running out of the hallway with a giant smile on his face. He spots me sitting in the chair and makes a B-line straight for me. I barely have enough time to get my hands out from under the wool blanket before he jumps and tackles me. I pull him further into my lap and try not to groan when he wraps his arm around my neck, squeezes hard, and rams his knee into my stomach. A full takedown I'm sure Fauna would highly approve of.

He thankfully doesn't hold on too long and lets go of me before I can suffocate. "Tommy wants you," he says, using the nickname he and his younger sister gave Thomas after she stumbled over a few letters.

"Oh, and what for?" I ask him with chattering teeth that I clench together.

"He said if I get you before he counts to sixty, I get five pieces of candy."

"Oh did he now?"

"I'd smack that boy if he wasn't smiling more," Siscilla chimes.

Levi grins wider, probably thinking that Siscilla is talking about him. She sticks her tongue out at him, and he giggles and hops off my lap. I walk after him, pointedly ignoring Siscilla's wiggling eyebrows. Claritia, it seems, likes to gossip while her children are sleeping. Even more so now that Neven isn't here to keep her company. Don't quote me on it, but I think she's beginning to go grey with all the stressing and worrying she's been doing. Half of her family sleeps in her arms, the other half she can only pray she'll be able to hold again. If I were her, I'd be just as bad – probably worse. I'm mentally falling apart, and Lance and I only met months ago. Then again, I wasn't necessarily mentally stable before that.

Levi leads me to Fauna's room where I find Thomas awkwardly holding Aurelia in his arms while listening to Claritia talk about something about Allerick's eyes. He looks absolutely miserable for someone who's holding a fast-asleep child. I wish my luck were that good. I always get them when they're crying.

He looks at me and mouths the word "help," with a pointed look at Claritia. I'm half tempted to walk back out if only my legs weren't shaking. I end up sitting by Claritia's legs on the bed. Thomas doesn't hesitate and nearly runs over and to hand me Aurelia.