Chapter 82 - Katarina - At Fault

Sometimes I wonder if any of us are actually smart. I mean we're teenagers. Mostly. What the fuck does anyone expect us to do when we all look like we just came out of the womb? The Ginerva may be a century and a half years old, but they look just as young as the rest of us. What makes us so suiting for the job of ruling a kingdom and fighting a force far larger than anything we could possibly imagine?

I haven't even lived my life the way a teenager should. There are still things I want to do and places I want to see. Gods, there's so much I want to do, and all of it may be burned by the end of this. I'm too young to die.

"Where are your thoughts at, Kat?" I glance up at Clarice. I've been teaching her how to make flower crowns for the past hour. We arrived at the edge of the Wildflower Valley, making camp early so that we'll get to Cadorelin in two days' time. I like the slow pace we've had since the Banevenin. It doesn't feel like we're marching towards death, just traveling and enjoying the time with friends.

The Ginerva have been stitching small wards in everyone's clothing, not trusting that Xaxias won't have a few things lurking in the flower fields to stalk us. A few of the Bhaltayr help, but they keep cursing every time they poke themselves with the needles. The rest are either hunting with Darius or talking to the soldiers while they content themselves with games. Lance went with the hunting party, and I pointedly ignored his presence as he left.

I sigh at Clare's question, going back to twisting the flower stems as I answer. "Do think we can pull this off? Uniting all the rulers to fight and win?"

She chews on her lip as she thinks, pausing her progress on her crown of velvetleaf mallow, tall cinquefoil, and red poppies. I've already finished one of Coreopsis, Primrose, and Spiked Lobelia for Roseia. She wears it now, laying in the grass and trying to soak in the words of another book before the sunset. She's got about an hour before it does, but something tells me that if she doesn't land in a good spot, she'll be lighting a candle or two to keep reading.

"I think," Clare answers slowly. "That all we can do is try and pray for the best, but we can't not fight. We don't even have the option. There are too many lives at stake and so much on the line left to lose. The Kings and Queens of Ker are going to have to understand that. This isn't just one kingdom against another. It's the world against the underworld."

"But why would Kings and Queens who have been ruling for years or decades listen to us? We're children to them. What do we know?" I question, voicing my thoughts.

"In regards to this situation, we know plenty more than them. In general...we may not have the experience they do, but that's what the alliance is for. To unite those of different views and use them to our advantage, not argue about who's view is right and wrong. That's a matter of opinion."

I sigh again, adding a Wild Morning Glory flower to the Bush Mallow and Tidy-Tips. She's sounding a lot more sure of herself with her answers. She's been thinking about it too. "I guess I'm just nervous."

"Why? You're not the one who's going to have to walk in that ballroom and be expected to talk to each and every one of them."

"That's true. That's going to suck for you."

"Tell me about it. I think I'll throw up before going in."

"How Queenly of you," I joke. She throws a stem at me, and we both start laughing.

I miss laughing with her. She always had a way of making me relax with few words. I'm not entirely relaxed, but I don't think I will be for a long time.

"So are you going to talk to my brother?" And the anxiety is back. "I just think that this fight of yours is petty," she says matter- of-factly.

I blink at her honest bluntness. "First of all, you don't even know what we're fighting about. And how is it petty?"