Chapter 58 - Lance - When Our World Goes Quiet

"I wish you guys could stay," Kat says to Thyra and Toya, both readying to mist with Willa to the western shoreline where three of their ships await.

"We could if we chose to-"

"But we've got sea legs whereas you have your gangly land ones," Cliff finishes for Thyra. He wiggles his fingers at Kat's legs with a scrunched nose of distaste. She gives him a solid punch in the arm for the jab, a pleased smile dancing on her lips. I smile up at the sight.

It's nearing dawn, and the higher that sun rises the sooner they leave. I've been unsteady all morning, trying not to imagine the worst things possible that could go wrong. I'm not counting, but I think there are about fifteen different scenarios. Again, not counting.

When Darius silently asked me for my opinion, I was sure of my response. Having the Devil's Pride fleet and their large numbers would only push the court to oppose Darius. They'd challenge that he'd rather trust thieves and entirely uncivilized mongrels to fight his war, rather than his own flesh and blood. It's already going to be bad as is with my people watching the gates, we don't need them having another dart to throw. I also didn't need to tell Svenja or any of her rather emotionally sensitive group of troublemakers any of that. This takes care of both problems without any insult to anyone.

The Ginerva will be kept to the Highland Tower while the court visits and the only ones the court will see are Rohana - who seems to be back on her own two feet - Nilsa, and Serephina, though they won't know the two others are there. The rest will be keeping my sister company and protected. Anyone who tries to sneak into the Healer's Tower uninvited will suddenly find themselves turning around, according to them. Seeing how long they managed to stay undetected at Hollis Mountain, I didn't doubt their claims.

Tanith didn't seem to mind the idea when I went with Rohana to speak with them. I'm still not allowed in to see my sister, but I'd rather not walk in if she's not ready to see me. Rohana was the one to call out her sisters into the hall, though I know exactly why she doesn't want to walk through the door.

"Does your mind ever stop turning?" I turn my head to Svenja, letting Kat have her temporary goodbyes.

"Does yours ever stop contemplating how quickly you can get another bottle of rum?" I retort back.

"Ha. I suppose not."

I take in her apparel which is her normal black pants, high boots, corset over tunic, and long coat, though the thing seems thinned for summer, not thick for winter. "You don't look dressed for the cold."

"I like the bite of salt and ice, keeps your eyes open."

"And your toes are purple," I point out.

A slow smile rises to her cheeks, eyes peeking through thick lashes. "That's what body heat's for."

"Oh? Got a specific body in mind?"

"You scandalous bastard," she exclaims dramatically, her eyes bulging out of her head. "You have someone's dress to slip under, stop trying to loosen my corset."

"Based on how tightly you tie the thing, I'd say that's an action even I couldn't do." She goes to jab me in the ribs with her finger, but I catch it and pull. I'm about to put her in a chokehold when I feel something sharp and pointed aimed to plunge into my gut. I stop, only doing so because I know she'll draw blood the moment I twitch.

Sneaky pirates.

"Ah, ah, ah. Not today, King Arthur." I slowly release her, hands up in surrender as she turns but keeps the curved blade against my side. She shakes her head disapprovingly. "Years later and you're still using the same old moves."