Ch. 96 - Katarina - The Day After

"Where should I put these?"

I glance a the basket of lilies and calendulas beneath a small offering of bright fruits. "Take those to King Rainier and Queen Edila. Eagle Wing, second floor, the fourth door from the Highland Tower - and if you see Lecia on your way there tell her to find Grace, and make sure the preparations in the Council Room are being properly handled, please."

"Of course."

"Thank you!" I yell at the short woman's disappearing figure.

Another already waits for me when I turn around, her hands carrying two dresses and a wooden box likely full of jewelry. "Oh, perfect. Take those to the Queen of Cressida upstairs and hand them to her guards posted outside her door. They won't let you inside so don't bother trying."

She nods and scurries off, weaving through the rushing craziness of the castle halls. They're full of the castle's staff, all carrying one thing or another, and if they're not it's because they're rushing to get something that will.

I spot Bell in the madness and intercept her course to the Healer's Tower. "Did someone get those linens to Siscilla?"

"I sent two of the incomers to handle it."

"How long ago?"

We both jump out of the way of a boy with a wheelbarrow of dirty linens heading for the laundress downstairs. "Twenty minutes."

"While you take those bandages up to make sure they got them. Otherwise, Siscilla will have a fit, and you don't want to be there when she starts yelling."

"Heads up." She gestures to five more of the incomers, all walking all too casually for the chores that need to be done for today.

Darius redrew the lines of those who work in the castle, making sure it was all voluntary and not forced. Oddly enough, we had parents from the town sending their children and themselves if they were able to help us out. We call them the incomers. New and completely oblivious to the hard work that actually goes into working for the King.

"Oof. I wouldn't want to be on the receiving side of that glare," Belle teases.

"Then get your ass to the Healer's Tower." She leaves with a light laugh and I turn to the incomers and step in their path. "Enjoying the fun?"

The boy in the center looks me up and down slowly, his tongue licking his lips like a dog. "Not yet, but we can go somewhere less...crowded to have some." His friends laugh and I resist the urge to hurl.

"If I take you somewhere less crowded, it's to toss you over the castle walls for incompetence and childish behavior that will get you killed if one of the Kings or Queens hear you."

"She's a feisty little thing, isn't she?" I narrow my eyes to the blonde at his left, wondering what would happen if he knew that this 'feisty little thing' is involved with the Sinister Fox.

"I always liked my food spicy," another comments.

"How about angry?" They all spin around, blanching at the sight of Makatza still dressed in her demon blood drenched armor, her hair also matted with the sticky substance, and glaring daggers at all of them. "No? Well, then I suggest you think twice before attempting to get the Sinister Fox's lady and the Queen of Thralia's best friend into your bed. Wouldn't want those pretty faces of yours to end up with a kill mark, now would we?" They shake their heads passionately. "Now run along and find something to do before I suddenly find myself very hungry."

Her eyes turn into reptilian slits for emphasis and they all shove each other to back away as quickly as possible. The one who looked me up and down trips over his own feet in front of me. "Apologies, my lady." He runs off after his friends, all heading for the small door on the left that will take them down to the kitchens.