Penalty Quest | Preparation

"You're still weak, (Y/N) (L/N)"

Eh?

"Even after having gained such strong abilities, bringing you power you couldn't fathom before, you're unable to defeat the enemies before you..."

...

"Even I could kill you right now. And you'd be powerless to stop me. Your teachers were right. You are the weakest hunter. And you always will be."

I finally look up from the ground to see... Myself. That's my face... My face from before this growth spurt... My eyes, my nose, my hair, my ears, my...

"DIE!"

He comes at me!

NGAHHHHHH!!!!

I grab my knife and stab at it... I live.

The me that was going to end my life has been defeated...

He grins at me.

"Excellent... Now, don't ever let your lack of strength prevent you from saving someone..."

I won't.

He smiles at me.

Penalty Quest Begin

I'm dropped into what feels like a dune of sand. I lift myself to my feet, wiping away sand as I do so, confirming my surroundings.

I'm in what appears to be a vast desert... I came here from... The Job Change quest!! I quickly check to see if I can heal, and I can!

Immediately, I restore my health and glance around the shop for a knife that can better pierce the armor of these creatures. I find it!

The Knight Slayer
Rarity: B+
Type: Dagger
+30 Attack Damage
+50% damage to heavy armored targets.
A dagger forged by an assassin who had nothing but terrible experiences with armored knights.

Even if it cost about an eighth of the gold I had accumulated, it will sure as hell be worth it.

Ironically, this "penalty" quest saved my life... I see a large centipede-like monster appear before me. I prepare my original dagger and begin fighting every beast that approaches me.

Nothing is of any real threat, to be honest. They're all quite weak, and I end up getting a couple level-ups in the four hours I'm stuck here.

I spend the final 10 minutes ensuring that I have the correct items I'd like, as well as using a status restore.

I also happen to look at my skillset.

I never use these skills despite having gotten them... "Speed" which makes me faster momentarily, at the cost of my aura over time.

I think I might have gotten this from practicing with Ruby! Her semblance is one that increases speed...

I also happen to have a "critical strike" move, which results in a powerful attack, costing some of my aura to use, as well. I believe this one was naturally earned from one of my dungeon raids, and I completely forgot about it.

Sheesh, I have to abuse these skills from now on. I can't die because I forgot I'm powerful... That'd be embarrassing.

And lastly...

"Dominator's Touch Rune Stone"

An item containing a skill. The one that the Red Knight used. I believe the Knight's name was... Igris. It was a powerful foe. And now that I've been healed and given a chance to use new powers...

Skill: Dominator's Touch acquired.

I will destroy all of those beasts.

Penalty Quest complete.

I appear in the room I had been dying in just 4 hours ago. I return here anew, completely prepared to defeat these bastards.

I reach for the knife I had dropped against Igris, and my new ability sends it flying into my hand. Once I've caught it, I immediately get into a battle stance.

"And so we begin... Time to follow through with this job change quest!!!"