Sleep

I really have no clue what to say.

Genuinely.

I'm fully aware of what just happened, but.

What should I feel?

Should I be sad? Upset? Probably worried... Where is she going?

"We need to follow her..."

The weak words of the weeping willow I call my girlfriend snaps me out of my pointless trance.

"Mhm. Do you want to split up?"

"I don't know... Can any of your soldiers fly?"

"Yeah."

"Let's go on it together."

I offer a hand, which Ruby takes.

Once outside, I immediately jump onto Kaisel, Ruby's hand in my own.

I hold her close to me to ensure she does not lose her balance and fall off, but we exchange no words as all of this transpires.

I haven't seen anything...

I feel her chest rise and fall as she sighs. One more sniffle is the last sound she makes for the rest of the flight.

Partway through our attempted search, a bright light shines on the rock face opposite to where we were for the day.

Kaisel immediately races towards it, but...

"Ice."

The two of us hop off of Kaisel, attempting not to lose our footing.

"This can't have been dust... The entire area is frozen over."

"We have to keep looking. We can't walk on this, so let's go back in the air."

Seemingly uninterested with my observations, Ruby coldly demands we return to the skies. She's right.

We get back on Kaisel and take off once more.

Unfortunately, beyond a now frozen section of the forest, we found nothing out of the ordinary. No signs of life... My shadow soldiers did plenty of searching in this area, and also failed to procure any evidence of where she may have gone. Was this even the correct place to check? We may very well have been distracted by something entirely unrelated.

"Let's go to sleep."

Once again, I'm brought to reality by Ruby's words. Unfortunately, once again, they're cold and clearly upset.

We land near the dorm building. Ruby quickly separates herself from me, and I'm left... Unsure.

"Did... You want me to sleep with-"

"Not really."

"... I guess I'll find a hotel for the night."

"No."

"Well- what else am I supposed to do?"

"Just come with me."