An Awakening

"It was right here!" Ruby explains as she stumbles upon the side of a cliff.

"The cave entrance... I swear it was right here!" She says before noticing an unconscious (Y/N) in the grass.

Ozpin tilts his head as if to say "give him medical attention." To the nurses around him, before taking a sip from his mug.

"We will do our best to ensure Mr. (L/N) is safe and healthy." Ozpin assures Ruby, patting her on the head. "I'll hope to hear the same story you told from (Y/N) himself once he regains consciousness. For now, be prepared for your team selections. He is still your partner, after all." Ozpin finishes, returning to the school.

Ruby stares at her sleeping partner and smiles. She's relieved.

I slowly open my eyes to a bright artificial white light. "I'm alive?" I ask aloud.

"You are. And you're quite healthy, too." A cute nurse says to me. "I should have died... Wait, is Ruby okay?"I quickly sit up as I ask this, since if I'm alive, Ruby must be in trouble.

The nurse smiles. "Miss Rose is just fine. She's more concerned about you at the moment. But you'll be pleased to know I've found absolutely nothing wrong with you. Your Aura heals faster than normal, but your files state that is your semblance, and your body is completely stable." She explains.

"Thank you. I feel fine... Has the ceremony happened? Was I accepted?" I ask, earning a cute chuckle from her.

"It hasn't happened yet. And I give you permission to go. But you had better come right back if anything feels even slightly wrong!" She demands, before smiling and allowing me to exit. I stand out of bed and get startled as I suddenly see a large holographic board explaining something to me...

I am now a “Player,” and I have a daily quest to fulfill? What on Remnant does that mean? I have to make sure I'm not crazy. "Excuse me miss, can you see this screen?" I ask, pointing in the direction of a computer screen, but also at the screen before me, meaning she'd point out the obvious if she could see it too. Instead she nods. "I can see the computer screen! You making sure your vision is okay?" She asks as I nod in response.

I thank the nurse for the help and head out of her office only to be quickly approached by Ruby, who was waiting outside my room on a bench. "Are you okay? You didn't permanently lose the ability to fight because of me, did you?" She asks, clearly concerned.

"N-no, I'm fine Ruby, seriously. I really appreciate the concern, but I'm just glad you're safe, too." I say, smiling slightly.

She smiles back. "I don't know what I'd do if I already lost my partner... Don't scare me like that, okay?!" She says, lightly hitting my shoulder.

I chuckle a bit. "It shouldn't happen again." I say, glancing at this new screen. It shows my “stats.” They're low numbers, since I'm apparently level 1. What does all of this mean? And what the heck is the daily quest for? It says I have to do 100 push-ups, 100 sit-ups, 100 squats, and a 10 Kilometer run? I mean, I'm a little fit, but I've never done that much exercise before.

The screen says there will be a penalty quest if I don't finish it... That doesn't sound good. I guess I have to do it. But what happens to me if I don't? "It isn't worth risking..." I mumble to myself, causing Ruby to tilt her head at me. "Ah, nothing." I assure her. "When's the ceremony?" I ask. "A little over an hour." Ruby responds.