A Fateful Stroll

I want to sleep, I really do... But for whatever reason, I'm wide awake. I guess the system doesn't have some convenient "go to sleep" ability.

Whatever.

I get up and exit the dorm building, taking a very long walk. I even make it to the nearby town, noticing only the rare 24 hour shop with lights on. One dust shop, in particular, has a large group of men in black suits. Not suspicious at all...

I walk in casually. "Yo, boss! Can I get some red dust crystals?" I say loudly, getting the attention of the group of men.

"Ah, you've stumbled in at a very inconvenient time! Both for us and for you." A man in a white outfit with a black cane and red hair says this to me. It's obvious he's the boss here...

"Eh? You almost say that as though you're going to do something about it. But that's not possible. I'm out of your league." I taunt, turning away and window-shopping.

"I don't think you understand, buddy. This is the second time a brat happened to be in a dust shop so late while I happen to be here. And this time, I don't intend on letting them get the better of me."

A gunshot.

Thankfully, my sense stat alerted me, as a sort of "sixth sense," so I duck immediately, making a knife appear from my inventory, and stabbing at the culprit.

He reacts surprisingly fast, blocking the attack with a blade that was hidden in his cane.

"Not bad." I whisper.

"You're nothing to laugh at either... Is what I'd say if you were strong."

His pride results in him revealing that he had another plan. Of course, I could already tell what was coming.

One of his cronies shoots at me, and I block it with my hand. These gauntlets are handy... Wait shit, that pun was an accident.

"Eh?" The criminal lets out in surprise.

I quickly slash through every one of the weapons these cronies have, only being stopped when the boss of the group slashes at my fast form.

I stop the attack with my hand-these gauntlets proving to be perfect for attack blocking-and pull him toward me, stabbing at his side.

Suddenly, I notice him dropping a cigar onto the ground.

I reel back as I see the red crushed dust beneath us.

"You bas-"

"Save the old man, kid."

The group of dicks begin sprinting out of the stoor while I'm left attempting to catch the cigar.

I barely won't be able to make it, so I jump to the old man, shielding him with my body as the shop erupts into several explosions of multiple dust types.

Once everything is settled down, the entire building having collapsed, I stand up weakly.

"I already chose the +3 points for my daily quest, so I can't use status res..."

My words are interrupted by a groan before I end up falling to the ground.

"Can't use a potion at this low of health..."

"Oi!" The old man, who hadn't spoken until this point, gently shakes me. "Wake up! Ergh... No..."

I lose consciousness.

I wake up to see artificial white lights. Just like the first time.

"Back again, and up already, I see."

"Eh?"

I sit up and see the cute nurse from when I first got this "system." It's been a while since I've been here...

"Your body heals at a ridiculously fast pace. It's almost scary. At least, it healed fast when you slept... Are you feeling well?" The woman asks, after explaining my situation.

I feel no abnormalities and, in fact, feel quite good.

"Yeah, I feel fine... What happened with the old man?"

"Ah, I had been told the old man was only mildly burnt. Nothing compared to what you went through. You saved him."

I smile to myself.

I saved someone.

My smile disappears.

"And what of the criminal that did all of that?"

"Ah, it was discovered that it was, most likely, the wanted criminal Roman Torchwick. Miss Rose, actually, had a confrontation with him, as well! You two have quite a few similarities. Are you dating?"

That final question was asked in a teasing manner, but it doesn't fail to make me turn a dark shade of red.

"No... We're just partners..." I mumble, earning a chuckle from her.

"I only tease. Now, if you're certain you're healed, I will allow you to leave. But, as before, tell me if anything is wrong!" She sternly finished, waving as I exit.

Well... Even if I didn't stop Torchwick, I saved a life. I hope that man gets compensation for his destroyed shop.

"(Y/N)!"

Ruby tackles me, failing to knock me over, and instead being latched onto my standing body.

She's a lot more worried than I expected... Much more than when I first exited the hospital...

Sheesh, this really is a similar situation to last time, huh?

"Don't worry me..."

I notice her eyes are wet.

"Ruby, are you... Crying?" I ask in surprise.

"Well... It's your fault... Don't scare me like that...!" She says, drying her face off with my shirt.

I smile warmly, putting a hand on her back.

"Understood. I won't worry you anymore." I promise to her, closing my eyes as my body shares its heat with the short partner that's latching onto me.

===============================

NEXT UP IS THE JOB CHANGE QUEST, BOIIIIIIZ!