Job Change

School has been relatively the same as usual, with a very long and arduous week off that I spend, essentially, leveling up as much as possible...

I reached level 40 during one of the dungeon runs, and I suddenly received a new quest.

A "Job Change" quest. What on Remnant that means, I have no idea. But I decide I should check it out. It's the weekend after all, and things are still tense between me and Yang.

"I'll be busy for the day. See ya later." I quickly say, exiting the dorm.

"He hasn't even had breakfast yet..." Ruby mumbles.

I accept the quest and go to the fountain once again, just like my first dungeon.

I enter through the portal and wind up in a castle-like hallway. This is odd, considering every other dungeon was just its pocket dimension using Remnant's setting.

I start walking down the path, and sense an attack coming, barely stepping out of the way before equipping my knife. I begin slashing at this beast, but merely scratch the armor of it. I dodge its attacks as best I can until I find an opening.

"There!"

I stab into the barely open crevice of its helmet, and it stops moving.

"Phew... I need to heal."

I open my inventory to see my potions are unusable. So my Aura will have to naturally regen, and my health will stay stagnant until I finish this quest? That sucks.

I continue fighting these possessed knight things with my high strength stat, as well as my bare hands, so as not to ruin my dagger. I continue to go through the hallway, finding a throne room.

A knight in blood red armor is sitting as if he were waiting for me.

"This guy isn't weak, I can tell that much. But I won't be letting it off easy!" I yell, sprinting to the monster. It picks up its large sword and swiftly swings at me, forcing me to block the attack with my knife.

I jump away and charge once again, letting it swing at me. I dodge perfectly and attempt to stab into its helmet, but it tilts its head, causing me to merely scratch the helmet.

It pushes me away, knocking my dagger out of my hand as well.

I attempt to reach for my fallen weapon, but the knight swings its sword at me, preventing me from doing so. I step away from the knife to put up my fists. It sets down its sword and lifts its fists up as well.

"Guess brute strength will have to do." I say as it sprints at me, fists prepared to strike.

I get into a rough fistfight with this monster before I eventually reel back and kick its shin as hard as possible, causing it to lose balance. I grab each side of its helmet and attempt to crush it, only for its sword to fly back into its hand, slashing into my side.

Blood drips out of my mouth as I am thrown at the wall, landing weakly on the throne.

"This boss... Is not making it easy..." I say between breaths.

It stabs its sword at me, and I hold my hand up, my gauntlet preventing damage to my hands. I pull the sword to my side, the knight coming closer because of it, and punch its helmet as hard as I possibly can, completely crushing whatever was inside of it.

The enemy falls to the ground. I glance at my inventory, getting a good look at the items I collected from this fight. It's interrupted by another status window...

I leveled up. But I notice my status restore option from said level-up isn't offered to me.

"How long have I been here...?" I question to myself.

"It feels like that hall went on for an entire day... And this fight has been feeling confusingly long as well... Even though I swear it's only been an hour at max..." I say weakly.

The Job Change Quest will now begin. The longer you last, the more points you can collect that will place you into a higher-tier Job.

"... What?"

Good Luck.

"Are you serious?" I ask aloud.

"That wasn't the job change quest...?"

Quest Begin

"Good luck? I'm fucked."

I immediately grab my knife and prepare for the worst as several portals open, and the knights from before begin pouring out. They are hardly as strong as the blood knight was, but they are appearing faster than I can defeat them. This results in my stamina having drained to practically nothing.

I get repeatedly cut by the knights due to my slower, weaker movements. This results in my HP draining further, it having already been brought to about a third from the red knight.

I won't last much longer...

You have failed to complete your Daily Quest. Penalty Quest beginning in 10 seconds.

(10) Is this seriously how I die? Surrounded by monsters (9) that will use this penalty to defeat me?

8

I just wanted (7) to be stronger

6

Why did this happen?

5

4

3

Goodbye, Ruby...

2

1

Penalty Quest Begin