Finally Time For a Break?

"Seriously?!"

"Yup! Just one more day and we'll be up with the rich people! Safe in the clouds, away from the Grimm..."

"Honey, that's incredible!"

"It's not like we'll be untouchable, but..."

"No, it'll help me sleep better at night!"

"That is exactly what I want."

The two men embrace.

Of course, fate seems to hate happy couples, so it wasn't long before...

"KAWORU!!!"

Insect-like creatures roaming the streets of Mantle; the city beneath the aristocratic, militaristic utopia of Atlas.

"These ones aren't Grimm...!"

"Shinji... Run..."

The sound of clothing fluttering in the air interrupts the couple before any cliche lines and sacrifices were made.

"Shut your eyes and rest. I don't like when couples are separated. Really pisses me off."

A young man... A huntsman. That uniform... An Atlesian soldier?

"Igris. Fend them off. I'll find the boss."

A knight of shadow rises from the ground.

The man rushes away.

...

.........

Two entire years. Longer than that, in fact.

An extremely long amount of time, especially considering the world had changed so drastically within that time.

I have spent nearly all of my time in combat. I hardly pay attention to my level at this point. I just do the daily quest, check for any new skills or actually useful items, and get back to work as soon as I can.

I've actually hardly gotten sleep in all this time. I've been living off of my daily status restores. Gives me 8 more hours in the day to do hard work.

I have gotten immensely stronger in the time since I last saw her... Saw Ruby.

I said I'd see her. I suppose I lied...

I wish I could hold her.

Actually, I could.

Taking even a few hours off wouldn't be the end of the world. Yet...

I find myself unable to take part in any free time.

Why kiss her when there could very well be a life in danger?

I've maxed out my current skills, including those of my class, so I have a great many shadows across the continent, acting both as vigilantes and eyes in the sky.

I am awaiting the day one alerts me of an enemy presence.

...