The Finals First?

The Tournament has begun. And...

"Were you also expecting we'd meet in the finals alone?"

The words of the red-headed Pyrrha Nikos snap me out of what may have resulted in spacing out.

"Yes, actually. I mean, it's not like I mind having our teammates, but I'm definitely surprised."

"Hey." Yang speaks up. "Who's to say you'll be the one selected for finals, hm?? If I perform better than you, dear sister and miss Belladonna will vote for me!"

Ruby gives a playful sigh. Rather than join in on the banter, perhaps she should keep quiet about her pick for (Y/N) as the final team member.

"Heh. Sounds like a challenge, then!"

"Don't forget we're the ones you're fighting against." Jaune speaks up.

"But you could fight against one another, too!" Nora chimes.

"Team JNPR. One of our sister teams from Beacon. I'm sorry you guys will be eliminated in the first round..."

"Speaking like that before the match has even started? Don't get too cocky."

Jaune's words to me are the last that are spoken before the biomes around us are decided.

A half Mountain, half Snowy Forest Stage? Not what I was expecting, but I'll be fine either way.

I catch a glimpse of JNPR's reactions. Nora takes a gander at the Mountain's peak. "Mountain" is a generous word, it's hardly that big, since it has to fit on this stage.

The quiet Ren's eyes quickly dart between the trees behind my team. Jaune takes a glance at both sides, seemingly formulating strategies. And Pyrrha-

"Are you sure you're ready?"

Pyrrha is staring at me, seemingly unconcerned with the choice in biomes, as she asks this question... She plans to treat this as if it were the finals... Actually, why not treat it as such? I don't recall the rules saying this wasn't allowed:

"Why don't we all pair up and find someplace to fight separately?"

"... Whuh?'

Jaune immediately voices his lack of understanding towards what I suggest.

"We each pick a foe and hold a mini tournament of our own. I don't recall the rules saying we had to fight in the same area."

Jaune raises a finger as if to deny my words, but can find nothing that disproves what I say.

"I guess so... How do we decide who will fight who?"

"I'm fighting (Y/N)."

Pyrrha immediately speaks up. She is... A lot more excited at the prospect of fighting me than I had expected.

"I'd like to fight Pyrrha, if you don't mind."

Voicing my own pick, Yang expresses verbal disappointment.