This Isn't Some Story

I'm sorry for the obligatory Author's note, but I wanted to give a preface to this chapter.

I don't intend on JUST copying and pasting Solo Leveling's plot. I came up with a backstory for (Y/N) that I like, in order to help further his character. And it's Smth not at all related to Sung Jin-Woo's backstory. This will help prevent too many similarities or it amounting to a more boring version of Solo Leveling.

If you don't like that, then I apologize...

===============================

Another day of my usual routine. Getting my exercise in before the girls wake up, and then returning for a good breakfast in the cafeteria.

I don't dislike this routine, but I also wish Ruby could join me. She doesn't get up this early and is more of a "stay up late" person, in contrast to my early-rising ass.

I hear a yawn from next to me.

"Hnnnngh, why did school have to be scheduled today..."

"... You mean Wednesday?"

"Yes!"

I roll my eyes jokingly.

"And why are you so awake? You just did a bunch of exercise!" Ruby complains.

"Well, maybe if you joined me, you'd start to get up faster and not be as tired throughout the day."

"Yeah, well... Shut up!"

"Woah, that comeback was too smooth." I don't make my words sound sarcastic, because it's obvious that they are.

She grabs my cheek angrily.

"Hmph... Why are you such an early riser, anyways? Did you always exercise like this?"

After pouting for a moment, she asks a question that makes me think.

"Well, yeah... But not nearly this much. It was basic stuff. Honestly, my current routine is about double what I did before. I was fit, sure, but still far from what I am now."

"Huh... You just wanted to stay healthy?"

I scratch the back of my neck a bit.

"Well... I guess... I'm also not one to break habits, so after starting an overly-intense regiment originally, I had to calm down a lot and eventually just settled with the basics."

Ruby lets my words fester in her mind for a minute before responding.

"Starting overly-intense? Why's that?"

"Wow, you're gettin real personal there." I say, semi-jokingly.

"Oh, I am?! I'm sorry! Ah... I just... You're so fascinating."

I shrug. "I'm sure you're just as interesting... But I'm fascinating? You must really like me."

"You've used that one before."