My Nightmare

The desire to be independent.

A wish that I could stand on my own two feet.

And the reality that I always had someone I leaned on.

...

"Absolutely not, Cecilia."

"Papa, please! (Y/N) is leaving, and Ruby is alone!"

"I don't give a damn about the girl! If you're going to leave, at least be honest about the reason."

"It's...!"

My words are caught in my throat.

"If I don't get up and finally take action, I won't be able to forgive myself."

"You have zero obligation to-"

"Stop telling me what I can and can't do! All these years, you've been sheltering me. The fact that you let me learn to be a huntress wasn't even so I could follow my passion or meet up with my own brother! It's because you wanted me to know self-defense."

"... That isn't true, Cecilia."

"Now who isn't being honest with themselves...?"

"Cecilia. After the fall of Beacon... It just wouldn't sit right with me to leave you alone..."

"I'm not alone. I wasn't alone. Until you took me from my best friend."

He stops speaking.

"Goodbye, papa... I love you..."

Without waiting to hear a response, I grab my pre-packed bags and rush out the door. I have an airship to catch.

...

.........

"Stoooooop...! You're both so mean!"

"Glad to know you've been bullying her in my place. Excellent work, sis."

I can't help but smile.

"Her reactions are priceless."

"Right?"

"Meanies!"

He wraps an arm around his girlfriend, and...

My stomach sinks.

"... PDA."

"Ah..."

The two pull their lips away from each other, and I look away.

Third-wheeling is awful.

"Hey..."

Ruby speaks up.

"What's that?"

We both look in the same direction as her.

We had been seated at a cafe, having lunch. In the distance, 4 gates had opened up, all alongside one of the mountain faces.