48: DAMN, MY SANDALS ARE SO PRETTY

"You should've have seen the size of their library, ugh I can't wait to turn into a sleep deprived zombie in that gorgeous room!" Chelsea and I burst into laughter as Tess tells us all about her college tour of UC Berkeley, the school of her dreams.

"I doubt you'll have time to study though," Chelsea teases, "you and Nathan will probably be busy sucking face in a dorm room somewhere, half the time"

I burst into laughter when Tess throws her entire sandwich at Chelsea and I proceed to help her pick lettuce strips out of her hair.

"What about you Bella? You've been awfully reserved about your spring break," Chelsea asks as she plucks a piece of chicken off her nose and pops it into her mouth.

I scrunch my face in mock disgust, "it wasn't much to talk about but it was amazing spending time with Ty and I did get some clarity"

"Clarity?"

I smile at the confused looks on their faces but I refrain from divulging, mostly because I know what the mention of Cole will do to the happy mood. Besides, talks about my boy problems is best had when I'm not surrounded by nosy cheerleaders in a crowded cafeteria.

My phone buzzes and when I glance down, the text I see confuses me.

Ryan: can u meet me in the parking lot after schl? Need to talk to u

Tess and Chelsea turn to me, and I shrug in equal confusion, "don't look at me, I have no idea why either"

____

After saying goodbye to the girls, my eyes find Ryan leaning against his car in the rapidly emptying parking lot.

"Hey," I breathe, readjusting the strap of my purse, trying to hide how nervous I feel. What could he possibly have to talk to me about?

Ryan straightens up and offers me a smile, "hey, what's up?"

I return it awkwardly, "You tell me. You wanted to talk?"

He clears his throat, "right, yeah"

He sighs and I can tell he's nervous. "Before I start, is there something you want to tell me?"

I frown, "excuse me?"

He nods, "never mind, I'll just say it. Megan and I are dating"

I blink once. Then twice.

"Okay, first of all, why would you tell me that? And secondly, last I heard you told her you wanted nothing more to do with her"

Ryan bites his lip, "yeah, see that was a little experiment that backfired"

"What are you talking about?"

He exhales, running his hands through his hair, "Cole liked Megan, right?"

"Uh-"

And you liked me

I inhale sharply, "wha-"

"So you two thought it'd be brilliant to try your hardest to separate Megan and me so you could each have us for yourselves"

Damn, my sandals are so pretty. Who thought of such a unique design with an amazing blend of colors? No wonder it was so expensive. It's super comfortable too, you wouldn't think so from its appearance but it's really one of a ki-

"Bella?"

I look up at Ryan, "hmm?"

He raises an eyebrow. I sigh and start awkwardly fiddling with the strap of my purse, "look, about that," I pause, "how do you even know about that?"