31: IT'S A PRACTICED ART

A/n: So I'm back from my writer's block/mental breakdown induced hiatus. I'm really sorry guys, I know I do this way too often but this time I was really close to deleting all my stories and swearing off wattpad. It felt like the writer in me had died and she was never coming back and that in itself almost killed me but I decided to give myself some time off to focus on some other things (school has been a bitch like you wouldn't believe) Anyways, I'm back now and if you're still reading this story, know that I am eternally grateful. Hopefully, I'll stay consistent till the end of this book. I love you guys like you wouldn't believe💕

***

“Hey!” I exclaim as Cole steals a waffle from my plate, “asshat, eat your own”

He shrugs, chewing thoughtfully, “I would, but its way more fun eating from your plate” he declares after swallowing.

I scoff and reach for a piece of bacon on his plate. Before I can put it in my mouth though, he takes it from my fingers. With his mouth.

I freeze when his lips brush my fingers and I feel my brain shutting down as I stare up at him in shock. He smirks at me, “you know what princess? It’s even better from your hands”

Before I can even think of a reply, someone taps my shoulder, thankfully waking my brain back up. I turn to see Coach Manson standing behind me expectantly, “Isabella, can I see you for a minute?” she asks.

“Yes of course” I stand up and after taking a big gulp out of Cole’s orange juice, follow after the tall, willowy woman.

We stop a few steps away from the picnic table my friends and I were at and she hands me a list. A brief glance shows that it’s the list of everyone on the trip.

“I want you to pair everybody up for the treasure hunt coming up”

I glance down at the list and back up at her, “okay, but we’re an odd number in total”

She nods, “a group will just have to have three”

I nod and after promising to get the names back to her by lunch, I head back to the table.

By the time I return, Cole has already pushed his plate of food away and is dutifully eating from mine. We literally took the exact same breakfast, I thought only girls did that shit.

I grab his plate and start on his untouched waffles. “What did she want?” he asks me.

“To pair everybody up for the treasure hunt” I inform him, snagging a piece of bacon from my plate since he already ate all of his.

“Ooh the famous treasure hunt in the woods” he muses and I glance up at him curiously, “the perfect time for us to be alone together” he wiggles his eyebrows suggestively and I feel the bacon sink to the bottom of my stomach like lead.

“Yeah, you and Megan will have a lot of quality time together” I mumble and glance away from him.

“Oh, yeah. Megan” he reiterates and I grab a glass of orange juice-his or mine, I’m not really sure-downing it in seconds, still not wanting to look at him, the excited look on his face already ingrained in my mind.

***

“Westmond high just arrived” Raven, our resident announcer informs us excitedly.

I head out with the rest of the girls to greet our new arrivals. They’re filing out of their bus and greetings are being exchanged excitedly.

A smile lights up my face as Jasper Callahan strolls out, a familiar easy smile on his face. He somehow spots me amidst the commotion and makes his way to me, his smile forming into something more genuine.