2:DEATH TRAP OF A MACHINE

"Miss Paxton, can I have a word with you?"

I stop in my tracks, wave the girls away and turn to face my math teacher Mr Gelding. He is by far my favourite teacher, probably fifty something, grey hair, cheery smile, plus math is my favourite subject.

"Of course sir"

"I need you to do me a favour, a new student just enrolled and he needs a little help, since you are by far my smartest student, do you think you can tutor him?"

Well that was 34 words but hey, who's counting?

"No problem sir" I say, because I can't really say no, as the student body president, its my duty to help students.

"Who is he sir?"

"Well, his name is...."

"With all due respect sir, I want to learn math not how to apply eye-shadow"

I turn and come face to face with the guy-Cole-I think, leaning on the table looking so cool.

Did I just think that?

"I have to tutor you? I ask incredulously, then turn to Mr Gelding, " I have to tutor him?"

Mr Gelding smiles and gets up"so glad you agreed, you two can work out a schedule, at least three days a week, at least an hour. Thank you so much Isabella "

I stare at the door he just walked through in disbelief, how am I supposed to tutor him?

"Nice outfit, though it's nothing compared to my hoodie"

I turn to him and raise an eyebrow, "yeah and your hoodie is nothing compared to your food"

He smirks then pushes himself off the table to follow me as I walk out of the class to my locker.

"So" I start "I've got practice on Wednesdays and Fridays, student council meetings on Mondays. So I'm only free on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays"

He shrugs, "that works for me, we can do an hour after school and two on Saturdays"

"No problem with me" I say as I pull out my remaining books and close my locker. I turn and instinctively take a step back when I realize how close we are that I catch a whiff of his sent, something musky mixed with Cinnamon.

"We can start today" I say. He shrugs,"okay, see you later princess" and he's gone before I can tell him not to call me that.

***

"Guys settle down!" Miss Killian, our chemistry teacher yells, trying to get us to shut up.

After a while, we take our seats, me beside Chelsea.

"Okay, I'll be assigning lab partners for the year. Listen to your names and pair up with your partners" she announces.

I cross my fingers under the table, please be Ryan, please be Ryan.

"....Chelsea Reynolds and Mark Hansen, Megan Sanders and Cole Matthews, Dinah Williams and Greg Meyer, Isabella Paxton and Ryan Davis..."

The grin on my face is wide enough to split it in half as Ryan walks over to take Chelsea's spot beside me. He takes his seat and smiles at me, "so we're partners now huh?" He says and I nod still grinning like a lunatic on crack.

"These partners are your official partners for Biology and physics too" Miss Killian adds.

Oh God can this day get any better?