24: A HAPPY FAMILY

Dedicated once again to @iam_oddie for guessing correctly.

I gape at the open box as a large smile consumes my face. I reach in and pull out the sliver charm bracelet.

My fingers slowly brush each charm, a pair of pompoms, an infinity symbol, a tiny black calculator, a purple skittle, a tiny gold tiara and a white lily.

"They're some of the things that make you, you" Cole says quietly.

I throw my arms around him with a small squeal, "I love it! I love it! I love it!" His arms come around me as he hugs me tight, his body shaking with silent laughter, "I'm glad"

I pull back, smiling so wide, "I love it" I declare one last time, "So much"

Cole smiles and wordlessly takes the bracelet from my hand, he grabs my wrist and gently clasps the bracelet round it. I notice how his tongue goes between his upper lip and teeth in concentration.

He finishes and holds my wrist in his hand, his thumb lazily brushing against it and I fear he can feel my pulse jerking rapidly. His eyes meet mine and for some reason, my breathing halts and my heart feels like its running a marathon in my body.

He cocks his head to the right, "You have grey flecks in your eyes when you're happy" he smiles absently, "I love it"

Oh God what is happening to me?

I curse quietly when my phone starts ringing very loudly.

I sigh and reluctantly pulling my wrist from Cole's hold to reach for my phone.

"What do you-"

"Isabella Gwendolyn Paxton where the hell are you?!" my mom screams into my ear, making me wince and pull the phone away.

"Geez, calm down, and you wonder why Tyler got me earbuds" She gasps but before she can reply, I preempt her "Is there a real reason you called, mother?" I ask dryly. So nice of you to notice my absence three hours later.

"Of course, I want to know where the hell you are!"

I sigh and push myself off Cole's bed, pacing his room, "It doesn't matter where I am, as long as I'm away from you two" I answer icily.

She gasps again, "Gwendolyn, you come home right this minute! We're supposed to spend Christmas as a happy family"

I scoff, coming to stand in front of Cole's dresser filled with pictures, "Oh yeah? Well when you find a happy family, let me know and I'll spend Christmas with them, oh wait... " I gently caress a picture of Cole, Gabby and Riley laying down in a circle, smiling up at the camera, "I'm quite content with the one I'm with right now" I add.

I hear shuffling, then my father's voice, "You have thirty minutes to drive home young lady, your time starts now" He says in his no nonsense tone, the one that leaves no room for argument and I roll my eyes and hangup.

I turn to Cole who has a concerned look on his face, "Are you okay?"

I sigh and shake my head, "No, I'm not. I have to go home"

He nods and stands up. He takes my hand and squeezes it reassuringly, "I'll always be here for you, okay? Never think you can't come here to get away"

I bite my lip and wrap my arms round his waist, "Thank you Cole"

He hugs me back and gently pulls away, "Come on, I'll walk you out"

He takes my hand again and we start walking downstairs. I'm distracted by his fingers brushing the bracelet, "I think the tiara is my favorite" he muses.

"Oh yeah? Why?"

He shrugs before looking up at me, "Every princess needs a tiara"

I just smile in reply, praying he can't see how hard I'm blushing. Gabby comes into view as soon as we get downstairs and I have to tell her I'm leaving. After a series of hugs, thank yous and goodbyes, Cole walks me out to my car.

"Thank you for everything" I say, turning to him, "Especially this" I hold up my wrist to showcase my new favorite possession and Cole smiles, "I should be the one thanking you, you made this an amazing Christmas for my family"

I blush yet again and suddenly remember something, "Um, this year, my parents are hosting this get together at the park on new year's eve and like everyone will be there and I was wondering if you'd like to come too" I pause and correct myself, "I mean you, Gabby and Riley of course, the you in question was plural because you know-"

Cole cuts me off with a chuckle, "We'd love to come, thank you"

I sigh in relief before entering my car to avoid further embarrassment, "Okay, bye!"

___

"Where were you?"

I roll my eyes and calmly close the door before turning to my mother, "At a friend's house"

"Why would you leave your family to spend Christmas with someone else's" she's asks like it's such a big mystery.

I scoff and fold my arms, "Well excuse me for not wanting to get choked up with all your negative energy"

Dad comes to stand beside mom and I eye both of them angrily, "You know, every couple has disagreements but the mature ones settle them amicably and don't get their kids caught in the crossfire"

They both wince like I slapped them, but I just continue, "They also don't go ruining Christmas with their petty squabbles. Sometimes I wonder why you guys are still together and the fact that me, your child is giving you a lecture like this shows that something is severely wrong with you two and your marriage"

With that, I head upstairs, not caring to see, hear or know their reactions.

After a quick shower, I change into a pair of shorts and one of Tyler's old T-shirts and get into bed even though it's only a little past six.

I let myself focus all my mental attention on social media, instagram, snap chat, twitter, I'm on basically everything.

I smile when I open Cole's instagram story and see the pictures of us today, several with Riley and his mom and then just the two of us, making funny faces at the camera. I take several screenshots.

Lest I forget, I quickly send Ryan a text inviting him to the park on New Year's eve.

Ryan: Cool, can I come wit smne?

I swear if I didn't like this boy, I'd hate him for being so annoyingly, cluelessly stupid.

***

Hey guys! Hope you liked this chapter, sorry it was so short.

Question: Do you think her parents should get a divorce or work on their marriage?

💕Sophie